Hill Climbing

Here you can find things relating to Motor Sport in a Midas

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Hill Climbing

Postby MikeW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 am

Hi

Anyone thought about a group buy of a rollcage for a Midas, either rear cage or full?

I am thinking of buying and building a Mk3 to hillclimb and sprint in Scottish road car classes.

Here's a link to picture of a hillclimb Midas that used to compete in Scotland in the 1990s (note the cage):
http://austinhealeyspritemk2.blogspot.c ... b-car.html

Wonder where it is now?

Cheers
Mike
MikeW

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi.
I would be very interested. Have thoughts on running a little club competitions with my car. A MK3. When do I need a rollcage. But I live in Sweden, so it's a bit away.

Greetings
Patrik Nilsson.
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Postby Alan D. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

I have a Mk1 which was rolled three times, the roof deflected broke the screen and sprung back to its normal shape. No roll cage needed! these cars are so tough.
The driver on the other hand had cuts and bruises and walked away with multi-coloured underpants!!!
I still have the 90BHP A- series engine (not an A-plus) that was fitted to the car.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby benofbrum » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:27 am

Alan D. wrote:I have a Mk1 which was rolled three times, the roof deflected broke the screen and sprung back to its normal shape. No roll cage needed! these cars are so tough.
The driver on the other hand had cuts and bruises and walked away with multi-coloured underpants!!!
I still have the 90BHP A- series engine (not an A-plus) that was fitted to the car.
Alan

Was that 3 revolutions on one occasion or did you enjoy the experience so much the first time that you repeated it twice more?
On a different note, I have received an email from the organiser of the Prescott Classic Hill Climb to say there are only 50 places left for the hill climb itself, but plenty of space for static displays.
Two years ago there was plenty of opportunity for additional runs at £5 a time after the first two runs.
benofbrum

Postby Jon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 pm

I rolled my Mk3 into a ploughed stubble field, one complete revolution, onto the passenger side and right over to land on the wheels. The screen popped out, the rear hatch shattered, the driver's side windscreen pillar snapped clean through top and bottom and was held in place only by the door rubber and interior trim. The roof may have flexed down at the leading edge during the roll, but was back in the right place afterwards. The driver's door window frame was a bit crushed and the glass broken, but both doors opened and shut the same as usual afterwards. My only injuries were a stiff neck the next day and a cut on my right forearm from the door window glass, plus deeply wounded pride since it was my own fault. For years afterwards, every time I borrowed my wife's car she would remind me to keep it the right way up.

Jon

Previous

Return to Motor Sport