Hill Climbing

Here you can find things relating to Motor Sport in a Midas

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Hill Climbing

Postby kelvink » Fri May 16, 2014 9:38 am

Is anyone going to Wiscombe this weekend for the Hillclimb?

Having promoted meetings at Finlake (near Exeter), Oddicombe and Mamhead, the Torbay Motor Club now focus their hill climb activities on Wiscombe Park and the new Manor Farm venue at Charmouth. The class structure of this meeting encompasses all the usual car divisions, from road-going to racers as well as a comprehensive range of motorcyles including solos and sidecars etc.

I was going to take part in this but screwed up on my entry application, it's not the easiest of things to get right but hopefully I'll learn the right people to contact and apply through. I may still go just to watch as I've got another Midas to play with and it's not in bits.....Yet! :D
kelvink

Postby stevew » Sat May 17, 2014 10:07 am

Originally I was hoping to - Wiscombe is the closest Hillclimb for me and I was hoping to do the championship there this year but the floods buggered things up for me and I'm playing catch-up to get the Midas on the road. I've final received a few vital parts (front brake callipers and pipelines) to get my Midas back on the road and with the hope of getting MOTed next week I've a full on weekend that I really need to use as it's been dragging on far too long. Saying all that if things go well and I finish earlier than expected (or I hit a stopper) I’ll go for the Sunday afternoon; are you’re intending to go Sunday?
stevew

Postby kelvink » Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 am

LOL I was thinking of going as there would be your Midas taking part! That makes 2 of us wanting to go in a Midas but not got a Midas with an MOT on it.

How's about this as a suggestion... We've both got tired Midas Gold Coupes in need of an MOT ASAP so how's a bout we arrange a celebratory drive in them both when we hopefully get them MOT'd next week! ? ! ?

Sounds like a plan to me. Any one else with a Midas fancy meeting up somewhere in the Dorset Somerset region very shortly?
kelvink

Postby stevew » Wed May 21, 2014 5:16 am

Sounds like a great idea. I'll let you know when I've got the MOT in the bag.
stevew

Postby kelvink » Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 am

Mine's booked in for Wednesday next week but I fully expect a fail and a list of things to do. I figure as the list I've made is such a long one I'd have someone else professionally say where to start! LOL Being fibreglass though I may get away with things lightly on the MOT side and may be easy to fix. Touch wood fast!
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:22 pm

well i now have an MOT certificate for my gold coupe:-) so how about meeting up for a bit of a laugh?

Sent from my Nexus 7 Using ForumTouch for Android
kelvink

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:09 pm

kelvink wrote:LOL I was thinking of going as there would be your Midas taking part! That makes 2 of us wanting to go in a Midas but not got a Midas with an MOT on it.

How's about this as a suggestion... We've both got tired Midas Gold Coupes in need of an MOT ASAP so how's a bout we arrange a celebratory drive in them both when we hopefully get them MOT'd next week! ? ! ?

Sounds like a plan to me. Any one else with a Midas fancy meeting up somewhere in the Dorset Somerset region very shortly?

I'm only about 15 mins from Wiscombe and I've been to a couple of the events this year half expecting to see a Midas go up the hill. Sadly mine is still in bits awaiting time and the inclination to paint it.
Last edited by Rich on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Postby kelvink » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:45 pm

OK Rich,

I'm over between Dorchester and Blandford so I'm happy to meet up somewhere mutually convenient....
kelvink

Postby stevew » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:27 am

Have finally got my Gold through its MOT :D , and the next event at Wiscombe is the weekend of 26 Jul, which is when I'm on hols with family; sods law with timing :( . So will be entering the 5/6 Sep hillclimb :? This will give me some time for some fettling. 1st drive of the car put a huge grin on my face, as well as highlighting few areas to concentrate on next - clunking sound over bumps from rear subframe (not exhaust banging as first thought) and exhaust contacting ground over small humps, but that was expected as have Metro manifold fitted which I'll be shortening this weekend. Has anyone any advice on suspension set-ups/geometery that work for them before I start fiddling?
stevew

Postby kelvink » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:07 am

Excellent news Steve!

Why not come on up to the Midas Cars Workshop Open Day this Sunday ?

I just had a very enjoyable evening down at Poole Quay with hundreds of Minis and Mini based kits followed by a spirited return journey home. These cars are great fun to drive I'm loving mine. OK yep lots of thumps bangs and rattles and also finding things to sort out. (I've sussed out now how I'm going to tackle the accelerator pedal on mine which should make a vast improvement to the car)

I'm going up to the workshop (Enstone between Oxford and Banbury) on Sunday morning and it would be great to meet up with you, perhaps somewhere en route so we can follow one another and watch things jiggling and wobbling on each others cars for a laugh

Hope to see you there and we can make some notes on some motorsport events
kelvink

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport