Hill Climbing

Here you can find things relating to Motor Sport in a Midas

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Hill Climbing

Postby kelvink » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 am

Well done Steve!

It was really good seeing you and your Midas out there having fun. We had fun just getting to and from the event too.

Couple of slightly different shots of your car on the hill in addition to Rich's above

Now for what to eventually aim for here's some footage of what it can be like if you go mental ! ......

[youtube]http://youtu.be/9kufacVXlSc?t=1m34s[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/9kufacVXlSc?t=1m34s
kelvink

Postby stevew » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for the photos. The in car footage is unbeliveable, I've never seen such committed driving in such confines!
stevew

Postby Stuart » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Stuart

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 am

That woman wiping his tyres down is hot
b1zbaz

Postby stevew » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Due to work I've been offline for a few months, but have recently got back to it and got the car back on the road :D – though I haven’t had the opportunity to do anything to really change the car since its run out last Sep :cry: . I’m entered into the Sat 25 Apr 15 hillclimb at Wiscombe Park, and my intent is to do suspension tuning (fiddling) in the short timescales as car is a bit scitty at speed, and there are some loud clunks from the rear over dumps! I’ve standard hydro front & coil over rear, so apart from checking the toe-in any suggestions?

I can’t make the Sun 26 Apr 15 race, but intend to do the other 4 local club races at Wiscombe Park on 16 & 17 May 15 and 5 & 6 Sep 15. I think there may still be a few last places available for 25 & 26 for late entrants if you’re quick. Anymore more Midas owners out there interested in some great, affordable, social form of motorsport? The road going B1 class is ideal for the Midas, and last race I only had a GTM Coupe on a shared drive for company in this class so a podium class finish was a cert!
stevew

Postby stevew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Saturday 25 Apr 15 at Wiscombe Park is looking interesting as I'm the only front-wheel drive car with 3 Sylva Strikers and a Westfielfd SE for competition in class.
stevew

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm off on Saturday Steve, I'll try and get across again though I'd be surprised if my better half doesn't have different ideas.
Rich

Postby stevew » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:57 pm

What a different day from the hillclimb in Sep 14. It was very slippery, and it was raining in the afternoon for the race runs which made for some interesting driving - don't think I've concentrated so hard driving before in my life. At least I could finally join in some conversations with the big boys about struggling to get the power down :D
Found the new front suspension bushes, rear radius arm bearings and sorting the steering alignment out gave me a lot more confidence, and the car felt great - just need to start working on the engine for some more power and get some decent tyres. The other B1 class members were running tuned 1.4 Zetec engined cars with super-sticky road-legal(just) tyres so didn't feel too bad only being a few seconds off them, so already starting to imagine what I can achieve once I can liberate some cash from the piggy-bank.
stevew

Postby kelvink » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Just thought I'd pop a post up here to say that I went along to the DEWS Downton meet at Clay Pigeon yesterday which was a pre season meeting to introduce new folk to the Sprint and Hill Climb season. Downton Engineering may be familiar to many as they were pretty good engine tuners back in the day and they continue with the Downton Engineering Works Social Club (DEWS) even today. They cover the majority of the country with classes at many sprint and hillvclimb events. They are a very friendly bunch who are keen to encourage anyone into motorsport to the extent that they will create classes to suit most any car to enable them to join in the fun and thrill of taking part.

Yesterday a young newcomer came along from Reding with his Mini that he'd bought as a shell for £700 and completely rebuilt to take part in sprints and hill climbs having never done any motorsport before other than taking part in a taster at Prescot with his dad last year.

The attachment DEWS-Mini-2.jpg is no longer available

This is what he'd managed to achieve with the Mini shell and throwing £5000 at it and a very impressive job he'd done too.

DEWS-Mini-2.jpg
DEWS Downton Clay Pigeon Mini pic 1
DEWS-Mini-2.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 20384 times
Attachments
DEWS-Mini-1.jpg
DEWS Downton Clay Pigeon pic 2
DEWS-Mini-1.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 20384 times
kelvink

Postby Marc Hilton » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:51 pm

There's a good little hill climb event at Lostwithial in Cornwall (just off the A390 before St Austell) called Castle Hill Climb. It usually runs in May over a couple of events and attracts many different classes. Could be worth you having a look?
Marc Hilton

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport