ICE

Talk about In Car Entertainment and Security Issues!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

ICE

Postby M.Ouvinen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:09 am

I've got some. It's -10 outside and you won't believe how tough it was this morning, scraping the inside of the windscreen clear. I've never had such hard ice on anything, bar the Transit I drove in the army...

That sure was in car non-entertainment, I tell you...
M.Ouvinen

Re: ICE

Postby manifold » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 pm

I must admit that my Midas also gets very cold.

Theres often frost on my car when the other family car has none. It seems to attact the cold somehow.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby M.Ouvinen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:41 pm

And yet, I chose the Midas, even though I could've taken my dad's modern car, that I'm babysitting while he's abroad.
M.Ouvinen

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:58 pm

it must be love!

We saw -8C here a couple of days ago, it was still -6C just above Buxton when the fog rolled in in the afternoon.
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 pm

There is just one reason for ice inside and that's moisture in the car. It took me a year to get my first Midas water ingress free, all details can be found on the technical page of my website. Once that's solved your Midas will be as dry as any other tin box. But even my Toyota RAV4 has now ice inside. That's because people get in with wet coats or wet umbrella's.
To solve this I am used to riding around in the winter time with a moisture eater. These plastic boxes can be bought at any DIY store and are filled with salt (now also available with lavender smell etc.). I tape it to something solid, a seatbelt guide rail f.e. because in the past it tipped over twice spilling half a liter of salty water over the carpet.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Postby M.Ouvinen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:15 pm

I don't think that my moisture problems are that much related to the door seals or the doors anyway. I would have noticed it, because it rained so much this autumn!

What I find to be the problem is condensation. There is water, wet carpets, and it never gets out. (Ok, I don't know where it originates, but I would guess wet shoes, slush, maybe a bit from the windows...) When driving, the windows do clear, as there is heating and airflow, but during the night it creeps up to the windows. It's actually quite logical, as it's warm inside the car, and then it cools down. The windows are the coldest surfaces in there, so it condenses onto the glass. (I always try to keep the windows and the rear window/hatch open for a while after coming home to cool it down, and it works on normal weather, but as it seems, on really cold nights, it doesn't seem to be enough.

I have no garage, thus it's always there until it gets a chance to dry. That would mean having it somewhere warm with windows open, so that the moisture can get out. And dammit, I gotta drive something to work!

Well, it's not that big a deal, and it sure beats driving something modern, heavy and lifeless.
M.Ouvinen

Postby The Sheepherd » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Ice or I.C.E. ..?
My Midas comes witha old blaupunkt plus bp-speakers and the sound is quite good, can't wait to hear whats it with a new radio and new speakers...thought about

http://www.amazon.de/Pioneer-CD-Tuner-F ... JZTII11LKU
http://www.amazon.de/JVC-KD-R-MP3-CD-Tu ... JZTII11LKU

...and these...

http://www.amazon.de/Hertz-DSK-130-2-We ... JZTII11LKU

A 2-way system seems a good thing for the Coupe, nothing that is shaking like in the Mini (rattle rattle), and the speakers seem to be very good at using the power from the radio, so no amplifier is needed...
...don't want to think about how much stuff I put in the Mini to get some sound (thats recognizeable on the Autobahn...), phew...
I also thought about front and rear speakers, but the hertz-speakers (when you read some tests) should do the job good enough...
The Sheepherd

Postby The Sheepherd » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:16 pm

The JVC-unit is coming for christmas (a gift ;) ) and the speakers are allready ordered :D
Last edited by The Sheepherd on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sheepherd

Postby The Sheepherd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Got my stuff together and allready did the most of the "cable"-jobs, maybe next week I get the headunit and the speakers in...

*Why I always feel off-topic when I wrote about that stuff?*
The Sheepherd

Postby The Sheepherd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Me, off-topic again: headunit and speakers are in now, and I must admit I had never a such great sounding car with such a small system, no rattle or shaking, perfect...
...and the woofers in the back using the Midas as a giant woofer-box on wheels :D ;)

I'm music addicted...
The Sheepherd

Return to I.C.E. and Security