Mk 1 Project Zippy. Something Other Than Seats...

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy. Stand Up Again (and Swear)

Postby dusz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 am

My seat runners are spaced off the carpet using a pile of penny washers. This allows for the front to be raised slightly compared to the rear to get more of the bucket feels and also less likely to slide forward under heavy breaking. You can fill a bag of penny washers at Wilko's for pennies.
dusz
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy. Stand Up Again (and Swear)

Postby ACourtney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:47 am

Jon wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe the driver's seat has to be adjustable backwards and forwards to pass the MoT. Worth checking.


There is no rule that the seat has to be adjustable. The rule is that where seat adjusters are fitted then they must move freely and lock securely. This works in the same way that cars that pre-date mandatory seat belts (1966) don't have to have seat belts fitted, but when fitted the belts must meet the test requirements (though pre-66 cars no longer require an MOT).

I'm with Dzus in preferring to mount the front of the seat runner higher than the rear. This usually helps the front of the seat to support the thighs better and also means that the base of the seat rises for shorter drivers as they move the seat forward. The downside is that if you put in too much rake the seat will always run backwards when the lever is pulled. So the trick is to make sure that the rake angle isn't enough to overcome friction.
User avatar
ACourtney
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy. Stand Up Again (and Swear)

Postby MrBounce » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:08 pm

I have decided that I will come back to the seat issue. It has bugged me for a while, so much so that I shut the Midas in the garage, enjoyed the sunshine a bit and sulked about the Midas. A lot.

Whilst trying to figure out something else to do to get some motivation back, I turned my attention to the front lights. Well, the headlight covers, to be more precise. Now mine were in a real state - they were not attached to the car properly when I got it - just jammed in place and there were holes from where some form of fixing had been used and had long since disappeared. Time to repair and rejuvenate!

I made some tape-covered cardboard sections up and fixed them over the holes, then out came the chopped strand mat (cut into appropriate sections) and the last of the resin I had on the shelf. Luckily I had enough to sort the holes, and once dry I was able to easily peel off the card. A little bit of filler followed, then my favourite thing - sanding.*

I then needed to line them up correctly and make some holes. Using the existing holes in the bodywork, I was able to mark the fresh fibreglass then make a hole in it for an appropriate fixing other than a blinking self-tapper (it seems that the previous owner put them EVERYWHERE). A coat of primer then followed. Once this is dry I shall paint them properly in satin black. At least it'll dry quickly - it was close to 30 degrees in front of the garage...

Headlight covers as found - lots of holes and imperfections.

Image

Midway through fibreglassing

Image

Marked for drilling (the white dot in the middle)

Image

Bigger hole made

Image

Test fitting

Image

And a coat of primer

Image

*This is as far from the truth as you can get...
MrBounce
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy. Something Other Than Seats...

Postby MrBounce » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:27 pm

As I discovered that I had run out of satin black paint (just as I was spraying the headlight covers, causing a splutter or two and the need for a re-paint), I had a look at the sidelights/indicator units. These were Triumph Dolomite units and the wiring was, for want of a better word, utterly banjo'd. By this I mean that the wiring was black and or corroded, so I needed something to replace it.

My knowledge of wiring is very poor, so I asked Tink for some advice. Rather than giving me said advice, he took them apart, removed the old wires and soldered in new sections for me whilst I waited. We also discovered that one of the sidelights had no spring in the bulb holder, so we rectified that with an appropriately sized spring from his spares box. Once I had them back in the garage I popped in some bulbs, new gaskets and the front lenses and mounted the first of them back on to the car. At least half of it anyway. One of the bolts is virtually inaccessible without taking at least one thing off (oil cooler or radiator) so I need to have a look at the best course of action. I gave up at this point as it was 30 degrees in the garage and I felt like I'd lost about 6lbs just from being in there...

New wires added to the front sidelight/indicator units. Damaged rubber cover was replaced with a better one.

Image

What the unit looks like on the car (well, half-attached anyhow...).

Image
MrBounce
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy. Something Other Than Seats...

Postby dusz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Looks like you're on to a winner. If you are loosing 6 lb in one afternoon that is "weigh" better than slimming world. :lol:

Either that or at the same time as you are working on your Midas you also have a sauna saving you time.
dusz
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron