Mark 1 Rebuild

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mark 1 Rebuild

Postby midastastic » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Hello all you similar like minded people :D
I am going to attempt to document my Mark 1 rebuild. Wish me luck? Here goes...
Purchased on Ebay in mid June 2010 my very orange(?) Midas.

Looks pretty in the picture? Well it cost me £450. I probably paid more than I should of as I have no engine, no gearbox, no battery, no exhaust and 4 knackered tyres! :? The mechanicals are all rusty, the interior was wet and the gel coat is severely faded...all in all, a shed?
Never!
So, June 13th I picked the car up on a hired trailer and delivered her to her current resting place, my garage. The wheels are off and she is up on axle stands.
With the subframe removed, I stripped it out on the bench of all the suspension, hubs and driveshafts and brakes
The subframe was grit blasted and powdercoated £60.
The suspension parts were all grit blasted and red oxide painted, then chassis black painted (by me) :)
The brakes turned out to be Cooper 998 7inch disc brakes-no good for anything! So they were sold and some '95 Cooper items aquired with later drive flanges already fitted. I can use the old hubs as they are all interchangeable.
A shopping list for suspension parts was collated £125.
The subframe is currently being built back up and will post a pic when its done. The hub shopping list is underway, as is the brake list. I have made a large skateboard which comfortably holds the subframe so I can build the front mechanicals up completely and wheel it under the car when I am ready.
Last week the tyres were thrown away and I have made a tool to refinish the curbed rims in a lathe. They will be grit blasted and powdercoated next week hopefully. Pics to follow.
Keep you posted! :D
midastastic

Re: Mark 1 Rebuild

Postby Stuart » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Good luck :) I look forward to seeing the progress
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I always thought all mk1's looked more like this, perhaps they made a Mk one and a half, or you have a mk2 with a mk1 bonnet.

Stuart

Postby midastastic » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Interesting. The car was advertised as a Mark 1. It is chassis number 42. I just believed it without question. Does anyone know what chassis number the Mark 1 went up to? I do know this car is as it was originally built in 1980 and registered in 1981. If anyone has anymore info that would be great :geek:
midastastic

Return to Complete Midas rebuild