rear coilover brackets for midas gold

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: rear coilover brackets for midas gold

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

face of doh do you mean mine lol
b1zbaz

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

b1zbaz wrote:face of doh do you mean mine lol

Er, no***, hadn't seen photos of yours! Is yours a Gold (Mk 3) too? Are there photos of yours on the site?

***but I think you knew that. :D
DavidL

Postby manifold » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes come on b1zbaz. Lets see some pictures. Yours too faceofdoh :) Do you have any older pictures of any you have had?

Thats what the forum is about....sharing stuff. Even if you think its not up to much. Its good to share problems.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 pm

manifold wrote:Yes come on b1zbaz. Lets see some pictures. Yours too faceofdoh :) Do you have any older pictures of any you have had?

Thats what the forum is about....sharing stuff. Even if you think its not up to much. Its good to share problems.

I sold mine around 1993/4, I think, so no digital photos exist (in MY possession).I'd need a scanner, which I currently don't have, but I do have a few colour prints of mine somewhere - plus half a roll of film with photos of a blue Bronze owned by a chap in Amble whose Midas I went to have a look at before I bought mine.

Sorry - I'd be happy to "show and tell" but it's going to have to wait a while!

But if you see any sign of Q284 PES (or DO20241), that was mine. White, when I had it. :D

manifold wrote:Even if you think its not up to much.

I absolutely DON'T think that. I'm glad I found the place and hopefully will be hanging around for a while.
DavidL

Postby manifold » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Thats great.

Well hopefully you might find a car again too (or your old one).

Even when they are in a state its not a problem as they can be brought back to life. Fortunately there are still a lot of mini spares to use and plenty of advice on here on any issues that arise.

I have a bit of knowledge on the Mk3's and there are plenty on here with Mk1&2's....and even some Mk4's, although they tend to be very quiet on here :oops: .... but I hope that changes as the forum is for everyone to enjoy.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 pm

manifold wrote:Thats great.

Well hopefully you might find a car again too (or your old one)...

I have to say that I wouldn't want a Bronze again, not even my old one, but I'd like to know what state it's in now, and what kind of life it's had. I appreciate that the Bronze is a good car, but the Gold has the extra space, visibility, and (IMHO) looks that I'm after.

The only reason I stuck with my Bronze when the Gold (Mk 3) came out was that I couldn't afford to change to one, and when I sold it, it was to buy a bigger vehicle; I could only afford one vehicle. Nowadays I have a van for my business and I wouldn't be looking to spend as much money on a Midas as I did on the Bronze, but as I've had a motorbike as well for the past 3 years I figure I could afford to run a Midas as cheaply as the bike, which will be going in a couple of months. If I could make a Midas do 60mpg as well I'd be happy!
DavidL

Postby manifold » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 pm

I think 60mpg in a midas is not unreasonable. If you went for a 1 litre motor.

A guy called Grayam Barnes said he got good MPG out of his 1 litre mk3 back in the late 80's early 90's. Where is he today? He was such a nice chap to talk to and knowedgeable....and one of the only ones who spoke to me at the Midas Stand at Stoneleigh in 1991, whilst some of the others were being rude and snotty to me, wrapped up in their own self importance. A different world now. A lot nicer people around.

There are plans afoot for some modern engine transplants that should fit the bill too. Waiting to see how these pan out ;).

I have to agree (well I would, wouldnt I ;), having 2 myself) that the Mk3 Cars were the pinnacle of looks in the Midas range. I think that has been borne out by Alistair considering making a Mk4 look-alike of a Mk3. I dont know if that idea ever got off the ground though.

Having said that I have seen a few Mk2's that looked really nice too. The Decathalon on Ebay now looks good....and I saw another BRG one with a fancy grill which caught my eye some time ago. I think the back end on the Mk1 or 2 could be sorted with a change of rear light cluster (within the same moulding area and without modifying it). The TR7 lights look a bit crappy in todays world and need a makeover (plus they are probably hard to get hold of anyway) .

manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Yes, but I want performance as well (preferably the same, if not more, than my 1.3 had). I'm thinking diesel actually, and one which could run on biodiesel, given the way fuel prices are going. Do you think that's feasible? Any suitable engine donor candidate you can think of?

My old Bronze would do 47mpg on a long run (eg, Fife to Stoneleigh/Sandown shows), but distinctly less just running around locally. I'd really like to see a drastic improvement on that, so my (currently fictitious) next Midas is probably destined not to use an A series lump.

Actually my ideal would be a biodiesel/electric hybrid, but let's not get too silly...
DavidL

Postby manifold » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 am

i used to dream about doing a daihatsu charade tdi conversion. a mini had one. that could run on biodiesel.

manifold

Postby Rich » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 am

My 1330 Gold hits the mid 50's on a run, it seems a little worse since I fitted the 1.5 ratio rockers but it still needs the MegaJolt setting up properly on the rolling road, I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon and get it mapped properly.
Rich

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild