rear coilover brackets for midas gold

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

rear coilover brackets for midas gold

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

i have stripped the rear suspension down and do not like the brackets for the coilovers to hub does anybody know if i can get my greasy mits on a better bracket as they look homemade and have cracks in the weld and are not even square i want something good as this car is for daily use and i like to throw cars about when i hit country roads
b1zbaz

Re: rear coilover brackets for midas gold

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:30 am

It looks like you are mentioning the first version of the Corby factory brackets.These were too thin and could break. Later version was made from sturdier steel. Both could be recognized by their rectangular design. GTM built a better version in a triangular shape. Here are mine:
rear suspension brackets.jpg
rear suspension brackets.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 am

There are some intermediate ones as well. I had a set which I had, and recently sold. I had the GTM ones too, which are very good.

Current ones are better still...as in integrated in the arm and welded with Ti.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:18 pm

i cant see how they would go on or where the shocker bolts on
b1zbaz

Postby manifold » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm

A 3/8 bolt goes through the drilled square bar. I used a couple of old cylinder head studs. They did the trick fine. the other outer 3 areas (2 are out of view) bolt to the backplate, although in practice they need packing out with some small M8 washers.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 pm

hello davia where can i get them from i dont know anybodys number to order them but could do with them quite urgently really as the ones i have are terrible and possibly reckon mot failure
b1zbaz

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 pm

sorry that was meant to say david
b1zbaz

Postby manifold » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Thats a bit of a hard question. I just sold a set a month or two back.

Why not see if Alans got some of his super pins left over. I think his is the best mod.

Basically you take the arm off. Drive the stub axle off inward (that the wheel bearing fits to) and replace it with one of Alans kits which includes a mounting to pick up the shocker bottom pickup. I think they are the Rolls Royce/Dogs Danglies of suspension pickups for the Mk3 (bar my Ti ones ;) ). you will need the existing handbrake bracket as well.

I dont think Midas Cars/Alistair has the tooling for the rear suspension brackets anymore. Anyone please correct me if im wrong.

Hope that helps.

manifold

Postby Rich » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm another one that could be interested in Alans pins.......
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Alan D.

Next

Return to Complete Midas rebuild