fixing the headlights

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: fixing the headlights

Postby manifold » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:14 pm

....or put some smart car roadster ones in.

Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 pm

im gonna have a go at butchering some land rover half bowl brackets they are only a tenner so its not much to throw in the bin if needbe
b1zbaz

Postby DavidL » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:41 pm

manifold wrote:....or put some smart car roadster ones in.

Hmm, I think I like that. How much did all the bits cost? I AM sitting down...
DavidL

Postby manifold » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 am

I think your talking probably a couple of hundred by the time your finished. Its a job on the back burner for me. If you take into account the costs of replacing the existing brackets (if they are still available) and new cibies and bulbs its not actually that bad really, relatively speaking.

All I have at the moment is the lamp covers which I modified to fit the existing lamp aperture which I will make moulds (which I have extensive experience in) from once I am happy with the shape so I can replicate on both cars. I've avoided doing it so far as I have been using the Lucas sealed beam units which are cheap as chips and I'm in no rush. The lamp brackets I am going to mould up in a step pattern underneath the lamp covers so that I can avoid cutting the bodywork.

Too many ideas, not enough time. ;).
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:50 pm

get it done so i can buy your cibie brackets
b1zbaz

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:34 pm

b1zbaz wrote:get it done so i can buy your cibie brackets

Was that aimed at me? :-)

As enticing as that setup looks, it's money I can't afford to spend at present, so I'm keeping my headlights as they are. Sorry! I still need to throw money at its other problems, like exhaust, instrument panel, wipers, gearchange, for starters. After that, then I might start to think about other enhancements.

I do have a plastic headlamp bowl for a Defender in the garage which you can have for the cost of postage if it's any use to you, even if only to experiment with. Any interest?
DavidL

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:35 pm

i have got some mini ones to play with for now but my horn is in the way and i wanted to get a bigger one :twisted:
b1zbaz

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:35 pm

1966 alfa romeo spider brackets look asthough they will fit but at 84 quid a pair my mini ones are getting butchered lol
b1zbaz

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:42 pm

i need some brackets as the only way i can fit mini brackets is by bonding them in which i dont fancy doing in case i dont get it right can anybody help please
b1zbaz

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild