Mk 1 Project Zippy. Looking Like a Car.

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy. Looking Like a Car.

Postby Jon » Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 pm

That's looking good.
Jon

Postby l_jonez » Tue May 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Loot great, I can only dream of getting that close to completion
l_jonez

Postby Crowmann » Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Fabulous thread, the Mk1 has definitely grown on me over the years and yours has the makings of one of the nicest.

looking forward to seeing it some day.
Crowmann

Postby MrBounce » Fri May 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you everyone.

Yesterday I had a clear-out in the garage, pushed Zippy out and gave him a clean. He brushes up quite nicely!

MrBounce

Postby benofbrum » Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 pm

you can almost feel the heat coming off it
benofbrum

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 pm

Can't be long now, Dave? :P
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby MrBounce » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Yes Geoff, when the person sorting it is me...

Things still to do on the Midas is in fact, quite a list. All the electrics. Finish the dashboard. Align suspension. Make a set of brand new carpets. Completely rebuild the doors. Fit the bumpers correctly. Replace every single glass and door seal. Finish off the damn exhaust and hang it. Bleed brakes and clutch. Adjust everything. Check it again. New tyres. Take it for an MOT. Probably cry when it fails on something I've overlooked... Etc etc.

I can't lie - I have done NOTHING on the car since the last update except buy one thing. The Y-piece on the manifold has always bothered me. It came with the Maniflow manifold, but it wasn't a Maniflow. As such, it doesn't fit properly. It had no slots. So I got fed up with it, and splashed out on a Maniflow one. Yes it cost 2/3 the price of the entire RC40 system I got but what the hell, I KNOW it'll be decent.

Also, my daily Mercedes SLK 230 was starting to look alarmingly similar to my Mini 25 I had in the mid-90s. By that I mean it was starting to rust, and badly. Luckily I had just come into a bit of money, so I went shopping and came back with a 2006 SLK 200, the dealer having kindly taken the old SLK as a part-ex. There's only 2 of us and we don't need anything big, so why not?? I rather like it.

Then I knocked the front bumper off the Midas on to the ridged concrete floor. I need to repair it. Which naturally has made me ecstatic...

Maniflow LCB. Which will actually fit.

And my new daily toy, which is rather pleasant.

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Just a quick update as I only had a couple of hours today.

I spent a few minutes doing something I've been meaning to do for years. I got hold of a Dymo printer so I could properly label my workshop drawers. They used to have handwritten Sharpie on Paper labels which were only meant to be a temporary thing (they've been on there about 6 years!), so out came the scraper and these went in the bin. The Dymo labels look much clearer and are in their own way a little Retro, despite only being made today. Like it.

And I repurposed the bracket I'd made for the gear selector then rejected. I cut it up and had enough to remake the handbrake yoke bracket. After much drilling and hammering it's almost ready for paint. I need paint. Shopping again...

Dymo-printed drawer labels. Look suitably Retro and are practically indestructible compared to the previous paper labels.

New handbrake yoke bracket. Needs paint...

MrBounce

Postby Crowmann » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:00 pm

They have aged very well that gen of SLK and seem to have been the first Mercedes of that era to have shaken off their post 1997 ability to do what Mercs were famous for not doing - rusting away.
Crowmann

Postby MrBounce » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Had a little bit more time this afternoon, so I had a look at the aftermath of the "bumper incident". There were a couple of little chunks taken out but the majority was just minor scratching. I have therefore applied appropriate filling to the areas that needed it, sanded it and given it a coat of primer. All looks fine. I shall endeavour not to drop it next time. Paint will follow.

After I saw a discussion on the Midas Faceache page, I was able to have a very pleasant chat with Alistair Courtney who has provided me with every door and window seal required for my rebuild at a very reasonable price. Big thanks go to Alistair and his fantastic service. These arrived quickly and extremely well packed. I will not be fitting these just yet, but it is really gratifying to know that they're all here now.

Whilst looking for somewhere to keep said seals, I chanced upon a box with nothing written on it. This contained the mirrors and their mounting plinths which I had been trying to find for a few weeks. Turns out that they were hiding in plain sight. I have masked up the mirrors and will be giving everything a paint shortly, but not before I noticed that there was still cracking on the plinths which I hadn't seen when I first had a go at them. Armed with the Dremel, I broke out the grinding disc and "took care of them". They've been given a covering of P40 and I'll get sanding again soon. Oh joy...

Much less damage than first thought.

Primed and ready for top coat. Again.

What's in this package then??

ALL the rubber. Cheers Alistair!

Masked mirrors...

...and re-filled plinth.

MrBounce

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild