Mk 1 Project Zippy. Looking Like a Car.

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy - Engine is In! 01/04/17

Postby Stuart » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm struggling to remember if my car ever had that foam, I don't think it did. I do remember replacing the rubber seal with just a flat rubber ring, not sure what it came off though.
Stuart

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy - On The Move...

Postby MrBounce » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:50 pm

As there 's an imminent house move in the Bounce household, Zippy needed to go to a "temporary new home" as I really didn't want to juggle all the fun of moving house along with the delights of car/trailer interfacing on the same day. What did I do in this situation? Call on my car-friendly mates, that's what. So Mr T, the Man of the Chair & Plank all popped round with a Volvo and a trailer plus the necessary muscle to get it up the ramps. Typically we'd chosen the worst possible day for all this - it was absolutely chucking it down. All that was needed was the kettle and a tub of Roses to keep everyone happy.

Zippy was easy enough to get out of the garage, down the driveway and on to the ramps, mainly because I currently live on a hill, but also because of the fact that he weighs about the same as a crisp packet with wheels. He was soon up in the trailer and strapped down. Given that the trailer was specifically designed for Mini transportation, and Zippy's that little bit longer, it was a tight squeeze length-wise but all was soon sorted. I will get him back one we've moved in to our new pad.

Out of the soon-to-be-old garage.

Belligerent orange Midas ignores driveway sign in pouring rain.

In the trailer and strapped down. Time for a voyage!

It was a bit tight in there!!

MrBounce

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy - A New Home

Postby MrBounce » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm

New house (well bungalow, actually), new garage, new home for Zippy.

MrBounce

Postby johno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Good to see. The garage looks like it's always been there. You must have been a very busy man for the last few weeks.
johno

Postby MrBounce » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi guys and gals.

I don't want you all to think that I've been doing nothing over the past few weeks or ignoring my project. There's been a massive amount of work needed to sort the garage, I've been on holiday and I have now just come out of hospital after contracting pneumonia. I hope to be able to give you an update on Zippy in about 2 weeks once I feel a bit more like me, but for now Mrs Bounce says I've got to stay inside and get better. So in the meantime I will be fighting this infection with more drugs than Lance Armstrong ever had, and most likely looking at loads of silly things on YouTube. I have deliberately left the credit card in the wallet otherwise I would be surfing the net to buy car stuff I don't need...

See you soon :)
MrBounce

Postby ACourtney » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:43 pm

I hope you get better soon. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has been missing your progress reports.
ACourtney

Postby fozzza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 am

I will second that. :(
Roy
fozzza

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy - And We're Back

Postby MrBounce » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Well I have to say a big thank you to all for your good wishes. I can confirm that Pneumonia is pretty horrible and don't recommend it to anyone! I am now back on to "light duties" and as such have been doing a bit in the Manroom again. Whoop!

One thing I really disliked about Zippy was that half of the fuel tank is held on my screws. My first thought was having a spreader plate with captive nuts, but this is nigh on impossible to achieve due to the area being an enclosed box section. Instead I have gone for a "belt and braces" approach of Rivnuts and epoxy resin. I didn't want them to fall out as the fibreglass is quite thick here, so out came the tank, followed by a bit of drilling. I then applied epoxy resin to the holes and the Rivnuts before fitting them as normal. I doubt they'll go anywhere...

Staying on the subject of fuel, Zippy will be running a Facet Electric Fuel Pump, and I needed to find myself a fuel pressure regulator to keep things as they should be. I found one from an awesome seller on eBay (yes they DO exist!), and once it arrived I just needed to find somewhere to put it. I decided that as there's precious little room under the bonnet, under the wiper motor on the bulkhead would be a perfect place. Some CAD with a Jaffa Cake box saw it replicated from a scrap of steel, and some more quick work with the drill saw all the appropriate holes sorted. A trial fit worked really well, so now it's drying off having been painted. Next job will be sorting some fuel pipes.

Tank out - to sort the fixings

Rivnut trial fitted before adding epoxy resin

Fuel Pressure Regulator - I need to put this somewhere

Bracket concocted from scrap steel

Trial fit - looking good. Bracket now in paint.

MrBounce

Postby dusz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Glad to hear that you are recovering. Hope to see your Midas on the road in Suffolk. It might even spur me on to recommission my yellow MK2 that has been off the road for 18 years.

Are you inserting the rivnut from inside the shell or from underneath? If it is from underneath I would not think that the fixing with epoxy would be sound given the weight of a full tank of fuel going over bumps, potholes and the like. If it is being inserted from the inside I would be inclined to put a penny washer under the head of the rivnut to spread the load a little more. Just my thoughts.
dusz

Postby DavidL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

dusz wrote:Glad to hear that you are recovering. Hope to see your Midas on the road in Suffolk. It might even spur me on to recommission my yellow MK2 that has been off the road for 18 years.

Are you inserting the rivnut from inside the shell or from underneath? If it is from underneath I would not think that the fixing with epoxy would be sound given the weight of a full tank of fuel going over bumps, potholes and the like. If it is being inserted from the inside I would be inclined to put a penny washer under the head of the rivnut to spread the load a little more. Just my thoughts.

Mine too. I can't remember how my Bronze's fuel tank was fixed, although I thought it was nuts, bolts, and penny washers. Just rivnuts through fibreglass doesn't sound secure enough to me, although it sometimes seemed like Harold was happy to use self tappers into fibreglass wherever he liked!

I've just found out that petrol isn't as heavy as I thought, 6 gallons is just over 20kg. No idea what the tank weighs though.
DavidL

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild