Mk2 Recommission

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mk2 Recommission

Postby Killerwhat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:47 am

https://picasaweb.google.com/srhargreav ... directlink
This is the car mentioned in my 'doorbell' post. It's a 1300cc Mk2 built from a 'silver' kit in 1986.
It has been laid up, garaged, in Worcestershire since 2002. I'm sure it will need a few jobs doing so I'll keep you posted once I get it home to Leighton Buzzard and have a good look round it.
The link is to a picasa web album, let me know if there are any problems seeing the pics.
All the best, Steve.
Last edited by Killerwhat on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Killerwhat

Re: Mk2 Recommission - part 1

Postby DavidL » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:08 am

Looks in quite good condition to me, certainly tidier than mine which is 3 years younger. Hopefully the recommission shouldn't take you too long!
DavidL

Postby MrBounce » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Looks in pretty good nick. I think your recommission is going to be a LOT shorter than mine :lol:
MrBounce

Postby Killerwhat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks for your encouraging comments, lads.
You're probably right but I reckon there will be few things lurking like; seized brake cylinders, rusty drums, clagged up carb etc.
We'll see, bye the way, what size battery does it need? damned if I can remember! :?
cheers, Steve
Killerwhat

Lucky I backed this up!

Postby Killerwhat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 am

Well, it’s home now and after 2 weeks or so of work there’s some progress to report.
Initial investigation showed up:
No brakes, No clutch, Corroded exhaust clamps, Corroded brake pipe, Split steering rack gaiters, General mankiness in the engine department, Scruffy wheels
Remarkably good nick otherwise!
So, just to make me feel better, I concentrated on getting it running: drained the old fuel replaced with fresh, pumped it up to the carb, cleaned the points, distributer cap and rotor arm, replaced the plugs. Connected a battery and after a bit of persuasion it burst into life – I love A series engines! After a few minutes of running the cabin filled with steam and it boiled over. Heater matrix is scrap and the fan switch was dodgy, Oh well, could have been worse!
So, replaced a rear brake pipe which had corroded where the plastic body clip fitted (strange, I thought cunifer didn’t rot?) primed the rear circuit then bled all four corners and replaced all fluid, pedal feels good now!
Clutch was interesting – the little rivets that retain the clip on the master cylinder reservoir had corroded away, released the plastic tank and allowed the fluid to drain away. I refitted the tank with 4mm screws and nylocs and sucked the fluid through the slave bleed nipple with one of those little hand pumps meant for changing your engine oil. Clutch now actuates.
Got some new steering rack gaiters online but the nearside one on the car is different to the offside (longer and smaller inner diameter) don’t remember that!
Sent for some new manifold Y piece clamps.
Took off the towbar (Dad towed a little trailer with it) looks a lot neater now.
I initially thought the rear beam was serviceable but after removing the GRP end covers I found I could poke a hole in the steel in between the outboard bolts, doh!
So, big decision – do I deal with the beam (buy one, where from, how much or make one, ‘cos I can) get it MOT’d, sell it as a roadworthy car – how much for? Or do I cut my losses and sell it as a project car with not much to do? Again, for how much?
It’s breaking my heart to be honest – I’m far too sentimental about these things!
So, there it is, sucking me in. What do you think folks?
Killerwhat

Re: Mk2 Recommission

Postby Killerwhat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Was it something I said?
Killerwhat

Postby manifold » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 pm

I think that site hacking has buggered things up. Might take a day or two for people to start using it again.

V annoying.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Killerwhat wrote:Was it something I said?

With the site being hacked we lost some of your replies in this thread as well, sorry.
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeah, we were trying you to become a major Midas parts supplier, namely for the rear beam and the MK3 shock absorber brackets. Although Alan has a cunning plan for a redesigned rear beam.
Hans Efde

Re: Lucky I backed this up!

Postby Alan D. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 am

Killerwhat wrote:Well, it’s home now and after 2 weeks or so of work there’s some progress to report.
Initial investigation showed up:
No brakes, No clutch, Corroded exhaust clamps, Corroded brake pipe, Split steering rack gaiters, General mankiness in the engine department, Scruffy wheels
Remarkably good nick otherwise!
So, just to make me feel better, I concentrated on getting it running: drained the old fuel replaced with fresh, pumped it up to the carb, cleaned the points, distributer cap and rotor arm, replaced the plugs. Connected a battery and after a bit of persuasion it burst into life – I love A series engines! After a few minutes of running the cabin filled with steam and it boiled over. Heater matrix is scrap and the fan switch was dodgy, Oh well, could have been worse!
So, replaced a rear brake pipe which had corroded where the plastic body clip fitted (strange, I thought cunifer didn’t rot?) primed the rear circuit then bled all four corners and replaced all fluid, pedal feels good now!
Clutch was interesting – the little rivets that retain the clip on the master cylinder reservoir had corroded away, released the plastic tank and allowed the fluid to drain away. I refitted the tank with 4mm screws and nylocs and sucked the fluid through the slave bleed nipple with one of those little hand pumps meant for changing your engine oil. Clutch now actuates.
Got some new steering rack gaiters online but the nearside one on the car is different to the offside (longer and smaller inner diameter) don’t remember that!
Sent for some new manifold Y piece clamps.
Took off the towbar (Dad towed a little trailer with it) looks a lot neater now.
I initially thought the rear beam was serviceable but after removing the GRP end covers I found I could poke a hole in the steel in between the outboard bolts, doh!
So, big decision – do I deal with the beam (buy one, where from, how much or make one, ‘cos I can) get it MOT’d, sell it as a roadworthy car – how much for? Or do I cut my losses and sell it as a project car with not much to do? Again, for how much?
It’s breaking my heart to be honest – I’m far too sentimental about these things!
So, there it is, sucking me in. What do you think folks?

But if you bite the bullet and do it all, you will have an original car that will last another 50 years! It's only work and think of the sense of achievement when you get it done, don't give up now! The Midas range doesn't seem to have a great value now, but it will change, but we don't do it for the money!

Alan
Alan D.

Next

Return to Complete Midas rebuild