Midas Silver - aka Minipaw - rebuild

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Midas Silver - aka Minipaw - rebuild

Postby manifold » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Nice job,

Keep up the the good work and keep the pics coming! :)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Midasmadness » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Looking good Minipaw.
Have you checked the ream suspension beam, particularly behind the radius arms? Road silt collects there and between the back face of the beam and the body.
Hope yours is ok, mine had rotted through.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Phil.
Midasmadness

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Impressive how you are breathing life again in this car. So many people would have ditched it, but you saved it and are making it a real jem. Congrats to this great car. I can't wait to see it completed. Keep up the good work!
Hans Efde

Postby powerpaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:15 pm

MrBounce wrote:That paint looks lovely! Just so jealous. Must get on with mine... :lol:

Out of interest do any of the 3 Mistral wheels supplied with the Midas have centre caps? I am after one that looks like this:

Drop me a PM if you've got one!

Sorry Mr Bounce, Ours I think are the later ones, which were going to have to leave with the rims I'm afriad.

Parts aquired so far:

New headlight
Indicator/sidelights
foglights
40 weber
1380 block
Cross drilled and wedged crank
Stainless Brake Lines
New dist cap/arm/condensor/leads/points/plugs

The discs are fully overhauled and one caliper has had to be ditched and a new one bought. New ball joints and CV gaiters, so that the switch from drums to discs will be a straight swap.

You've probably gathered by now we sort of know where were going and know what to do, our past history includes several years doing hills and sprints in a Mini, which came to an unfortunate end - and its remains built into a Mini Marcos, so this is slightly like going down a well trodden path, but without rolling the Mini and 3 days in hospital!

We'll post up a pic of Minipaw's bigger brother soon, so you can see where the 'theme' comes from.
powerpaw

Postby MrBounce » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:52 am

Not a problem - thanks for looking!

That spec certainly looks interesting - what sort of head will you be using? I will be keeping a close eye on this :)
MrBounce

Postby powerpaw » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 pm

We're putting a standard head on the current engine, but will be getting a big valve head for the 1380 - drained the oil and it stank! ... and had lots of very small metal particles in it - not good!

Set up a fuel line and drip fed the carb to try and get the car started.... it ran for about twenty seconds - sounded smooth - then ran out of fuel :( . We need to set up new fuel lines and a pump (now bought!) from the tank - but we need to take a very close inspection of the tank as it will be most likely rusted inside and need replaced too!.

When we tried to start the car for a second time we hit a hurdle - the starter had jammed. We quickly removed it and inspected it - the spring was broken and it wasnt returning to allow us to start. New one ordered and should have it tomorrow.

The coilovers are completely shot and need replaced - having trouble finding cheap replacements, but the search continues.

Started fitting some of the lights and new number plates - coming together - will get some pics up, but in the meantime heres some pics of our Race Car - which we were making the Midas a MINI version of! Thinking of painting the centres of the Revolutions white to match the way the Skyline is.

powerpaw

Postby powerpaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am

Some progress, lights are on, and courtesy of ebay , new indicator lenses and headlights. The purests wouldn't agree but were swaping the allegro/ reliant headlights for Triumph Acclaim, two reasons - 1- there cheaper, 2 they sit fully flush with the outer rim of the surrounds. as were using the small metro sidelight, there's no need for the additional headlight side light.

Brake lines have arrived, some stainless steel braided ones to replace the rotted (yip fully perished!!) flexible ones and the brakes can go on. We've had the car in the air and can see the brake and fuel lines are in good shape. only the rotted thru exhaust and gearbox selector bobbin mounts to do.

We'll be at the mini show later this month to acquire!

Our friendly glass guy is booked to reinstall the side windows and put in a new windscreen this weekend, so that should complete that side of things.

A new electric pump will rplace the engine driven one and new lines to the carb, will replace the nasty reinforced clear hose.

Time is of the essence as we have to clear the decks for our other 'kit' car, as we have to have it up and running asap so we can test it for the coming season.
powerpaw

Postby Rich » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Is that a Darrian?
Rich

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Heck I don't even know what the car in the photo is :?

I'd rather see a photo of the Midas though, the Acclaim lights look good, Cibie ones too, ones on ebay at the moment aern't cheap though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-ACCLA ... 3368855aa7
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Rich wrote:Is that a Darrian?

Oh yes silly me, watched them rallying a few times :oops:

Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild