Mk2 Midas Q334 FVT

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk2 Midas Q334 FVT

Postby MrBounce » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Can the rear box be flipped over?

And is the Midas exhaust the same length as the Mini one or is there an extension in there somewhere?
MrBounce

Postby lankyjames » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:54 pm

MrBounce wrote:Can the rear box be flipped over?

And is the Midas exhaust the same length as the Mini one or is there an extension in there somewhere?

I tried it that way but the tip is angled....so points downwards and looks odd.

It is a standard mini exhaust, Playmini I believe, straight centre pipe and mini lcb. Hangs a little low at the rear beam hanger but that's from bad design...

And if you're not on facebook, two photos from tonight:
Image Image
Last edited by lankyjames on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lankyjames

Postby lankyjames » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 am

Last weekend I had the pleasure of meeting Alistair Courtney of Alternative Cars, and having a new sunroof fitted to my Midas.

The old one was leaking as the clamp had snapped in two places, the new one was slightly larger and required cutting to fit, which I let Alistair do, while I struggled to watch!

Unfortunately it is the only photo I had taken that wasn't blurry, but a new sunroof is in place with a much stronger handle in place, there is a very slight gap still left, but this is due to the curvature of the glass - given time this should diminish and in the mean-time I plan to fit a small piece of foam to seal the gap.
lankyjames

Postby Chris59 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:32 pm

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=1294&p=12104&hilit=q334#p12104

Hello guys,

This Mk2 is now in France, she will spent some time with her stable mates (Triumphs, MGs, Jaguars, TVRs, Caterhams, Westfields, Land Rovers,......).

This little animal deserve some work :

- check the whole front subframe, suspensions and engine mountings, as something is moving when it shouldn't
- change both driving shafts gaiters
- fit a set of Hi-low,
- new front adjustable shock absorbers,
- braided brake hoses,
- "cleaning" the electrical loom (I hate seeing wires touching sharp edges),
- modifying the rear plactic window for more rigidity or make a new one in thoughened glass ; claimed as water tight, it isn't really, as the spare wheel and rear seat where swimming in fresh water….
- 2 new front tyres,
- 4 different alloy wheels -tyres are not allowed to exceed the width of the front wings in my country- I may use original MG Metro alloys I have in stock
- a set of new rear shocks absorbers, lower than the ones (rusted and not absorbing anymore !) actually fitted,
- check/revamp the cooling system who's loosing fluid
- fit new doors hinges (stainless steel, I hate rust),
- create stainless steel fasteners for the bonnet and a new heat insulation (cleaner than grey gaffer….),
- remove the rear seat, it will make some room for usefull bits as helmets and fire extinguishers, compulsory on some track days,
- the list goes on, I only got this car since yesterday.

Please allow some questions : what would you recommend as shock absorbers (AVO, Spax,... ?) and are the rear brake hose the same as on a Mini ?

Cheers,
Chris
Chris59

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild