MK2 and she likes it so I had to have it really

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: kit car shows

Postby kelvink » Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 am

Well Stuart, it seemed to have a regular little gathering reading my note about it being work in progress in the windows. I think the colour scheme may have had something to do with that though ;) Adam from Complete Kit Car took some pics and asked about doing an article on it for the magazine. I'm already doing something for the Midas Owners Club to go in the Club Mag.

I had a reasonable amount of feedback from people which I'm very grateful for and have already taken on board and made some changes here and there as a result.

Unfortunately my memory card in my phone got corrupted and so I wasn't able to get any photos myself but here's a couple that Alistair took of it after the show when I went back to his workshop en route back home.

Attachments
Pic034.JPG
Kelvin's Midas Mk2 at Enstone
Pic034.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 10150 times
kelvink

Postby Stuart » Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks Kelvin. I like it, the front and rear are similar to Mike P's MK 1. The roof has been raised a couple of inches or have you lowered the bonnet?

It would be quite amusing to drive around with that camouflage covering, you'd certainly become the most photographed Midas ever.
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Fri May 10, 2013 9:49 am

I've done it in such a way that there's no modifications to the main shell of the car. The windscreen looks a bit different as I've shortened the bonnet and put a more modern surround around the screen.

Basically the idea is to modernise the car with styling updates that can be simply fitted onto the car by anyone and where possible retain most of the expensive bits such that it's effectively just a body kit. The bumpers on my car were of the last update to the Mk2 which simply didn't tie in front and rear, they looked like they had been done by different people. So I took the Gold as a reference and tried to maintain a Midas "corporate style"

I certainly had quite a few people pulling up alongside me on the motorways as I trailered the car to and from the show. Don't know if it's made AutoExpress yet though :lol:

Plenty more work to do on it yet though. I've made a few tweaks here and there since the show already
kelvink

Postby manifold » Fri May 10, 2013 10:42 am

Nice to see these pics. Good stuff!

Fits in exactly with what I said earlier about wrap around body mouldings changing the style but not impacting on the original body (for those not wanting to trash the original body shell). An exaggeration of which is done with the 6R4 on the metro.

The pictures show that the Mk1/2 cars actually lend themselves to doing this in some ways easier than the Mk3's due to their lack of blister wheel arches.

I wish I had more time to do stuff like this.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

kelvink wrote:I've done it in such a way that there's no modifications to the main shell of the car. The windscreen looks a bit different as I've shortened the bonnet and put a more modern surround around the screen.

Basically the idea is to modernise the car with styling updates that can be simply fitted onto the car by anyone and where possible retain most of the expensive bits such that it's effectively just a body kit. The bumpers on my car were of the last update to the Mk2 which simply didn't tie in front and rear, they looked like they had been done by different people. So I took the Gold as a reference and tried to maintain a Midas "corporate style"

I certainly had quite a few people pulling up alongside me on the motorways as I trailered the car to and from the show. Don't know if it's made AutoExpress yet though :lol:

Plenty more work to do on it yet though. I've made a few tweaks here and there since the show already

I am impressed how professional this looks. Anxious to see the end result. Is this a one off or is Alistair going to make moulds to sell a modification kit?
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 pm

It's nice to hear people like what I've been doing. It's my car and it's as a result of many many hours looking at the Midas and doing something I've done since I was a child which is to look at a car and mentally redesign it. As I've built several kits in the past I've inevitably put my own stamp on them.

I've spoken with Alistair frequently about ideas relating to what could be done with each of the Midas models and this is what I've done to mine. I am making moulds so that I get decent components for my car and it's not just a one off job with some filler and bridging compound. There's lots more to be done yet and I'm happy to say Alistair has given me a fair few pointers which I've taken on board. The Midas is certainly not dead and there's more to come. I share most people's enthusiasm for this cracking little car and am sure it has a lot of potential as I know, does Alistair.

If anyone is interested in doing the same things to their cars then I'm more than happy to chat with them about it, it makes all my work doing this all the more worthwhile if others like it and would like the same too, but then isn't that why we joined the club as well as just buy a car?
kelvink

Re: MK2 and she likes it so I had to have it really

Postby kelvink » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 pm

OK sorry things have been quiet in this section of the forum but as a fair few of you have probably gathered I've been a bit more busy actually working on my car than writing about it :-) I thought people would like to see what I was upto and felt it's usually best to do things than just talk about them and so I took it to Stoneleigh. It's still very much work in progress and has lots of work yet to be done on it but in general I get the impression people can understand where I'm going with my car and approve of what I've done to it so far.

kelvink

Re: MK2 and she likes it so I had to have it really

Postby Stuart » Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 am

Just a quick aside.... It might be good to move or copy the last few posts relating to my car over to this section of the forum as we're going off topic a bit here.

I've moved them over ;)
Stuart

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild