MK2 and she likes it so I had to have it really

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

MK2 and she likes it so I had to have it really

Postby kelvink » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 pm

I was first tempted by a Midas many many years ago back in the early 80s but being a youngster I felt I should get something bigger and so I built a Spartan using a 2 litre Cortina GT. After 12 years driving it every day rain or shine I was a bit bored with the same old car day in day out and got myself a Lotus Excel (BIG MISTAKE!!!) It wasn't long before I was afraid to even look at the Lotus let alone drive it for fear of something dropping off it and costing an arm and a leg so I built a Ginetta G27.

I've had numerous unusual and even unique cars but these days I tend to do most miles in a Citroen Xsara Picasso which my dog hates with a passion so I was persuaded to get myself a Midas. So here she is....

Well like I say, she likes it so what could I do?
kelvink

Re: MK2 and she likes it so I had to have it really

Postby kelvink » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I got it home late last night and thought I'd have a good look in the morning to see what I've let myself in for...

As I say I've liked the Midas for a long time and my favourite is the Gold Coupe but this Bronze came up at a price I couldn't ignore. As I've had a lot of ideas as to how I'd have done the Midas a bit differently I couldn't really ignore the car and put the ideas into the real world. First off though here's hopefully a series of photos of what I've bought with pretty much what you'd expect wrong with a car that's 20+ years old and has been stood standing for best part of 8 years too.

Now for the not so pretty...

Last on the road in...

Broken frame on drivers door..

Maybe not too clear in the photo but different colour paint over gel coat so damage underneath I'm sure..

Why have 2 visors when you only need one to get in the way

Spot the different wheel. Shame these weren't the ones fitted to the car rather than the grusome grey pepper pots. Oh the grey panel is the glove box cover and the bag contains the tool kit.

Oh it has a Stainless exhaust though the brackets are all rusted through.

I've seen much worse on the general gel coat side of things but there are a fair few horrible micro cracks all over small areas of the body but I think I can sort them fairly well. So all in all a nice little project but I have to say I still think it was worth getting it. Shalln't tell how much I got it for :)
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your Midas. Looks like a good projectvcar to me. The usual TLC stuff. There a few others on this forum restoring a Bronze as well, so you're not alone in your quest.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:30 pm

If you're looking for a home for your spare wheel, and if it's a 13" wheel, I'm after one of those (it's a Revolution RFX). One of mine has a big dent in the rim...
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:32 pm

faceofdoh wrote:If you're looking for a home for your spare wheel, and if it's a 13" wheel, I'm after one of those (it's a Revolution RFX). One of mine has a big dent in the rim...

The centre bit will be 20 mm thicker than yours though, so they'll stick out by 20 mm.
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Kelvin, I have 2x spare doors - in white if your interested ;)
lankyjames

Postby MrBounce » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Ooh! There's promise there! 8-)

Reminds me of coming home about this time last year - only mine was a white Mk1... If it's been standing that long, one thing you'll need when taking it apart is a Dremel with cutting discs. It's been an absolute godsend! :lol:
Last edited by MrBounce on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 pm

PS I'll see your 2004 and raise you...

MrBounce

Postby kelvink » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks Guys for the welcome and words of approval and encouragement I'm glad i'm not the only nut who can see the potential in these wonderful little cars. I've got one heck of a smart dog and I value her judgement, so yep I took the plunge. :D

Just been doing some exploratory rubbing down and buffing up on the old GRP and I have to say it's come up bettter than I was expecting although it does have a bit of a sepia tinge to the white. Reminds me of my Old Spartan which was Arum White with a Chocolate Brown roof, I was thinking the Midas was more of a Daz White. Were there different shades of white used over the years?

It's good to hear of folk who have spare/surplus parts. I'm hooping I might find some matching wheels to the spare as I much prefer that to the Alleycats that are on it. I think Minlite's look the best though on a Bronze but I do like the Revoloutions too. But if I have bits that I take off the car I'll let folk know

The intention is to get the car up and running first and run it a while before really going to town on the rebuild. Going to find out what bits I like and what I can't live with first and there's also lots of ideas already kicking round my head that I've had for a while which I'm going to be doing too but first off I've got to get a battery and find out how the engine is underneath all those corroded ancillaries.
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 pm

MrBounce wrote:PS I'll see your 2004 and raise you...

I could beat you on the tax disc but I'd only embarass myself as it's on one of my other cars I built :oops:
kelvink

Next

Return to Complete Midas rebuild