Carpet

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Carpet

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Can anybody recommend decent carpet and where to get it from please
b1zbaz

Re: Carpet

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Make that two. My Mk 3's carpet is not what it should be.
DavidL

Carpet

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:01 pm

There was nothing wrong with my carpet but a bit of spare money and eagerness to get the project underway made me throw it away what a plonker
b1zbaz

Postby lankyjames » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Can I join this?

I know someone in Birmingham (retro retrims) who I'm looking at taking my midas to and have new carpets made.

If he makes a template he should be able to provide mk2 carpet to order, maybe we could convince a mk3 owner to have a template made too?

Here's a sample of his work:
Image]
lankyjames

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

That looks good. What's the vehicle, out of noseyness? (just realised - it's a VW T4 Transporter/Caravelle, isn't it?)

Any idea what your contact in Birmingham would charge for just the floor (I'm not touching the carpet on the sides of the car)?

I think I'll be taking my seats out so I might be able to make a template, possibly - assuming I can find a big enough cereal packet...
DavidL

Postby lankyjames » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Its a vw t5 I think, bit different to the midas granted but he does some awesome upholstery!

I will have to enquire regarding carpets, I have no idea of prices unfortunately.

I think a template would best be made out of some cheap soundproofing carpet.

I need to sort it this year the front is full of oil....
lankyjames

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm

lankyjames wrote:Its a vw t5 I think, bit different to the midas granted but he does some awesome upholstery!

I will have to enquire regarding carpets, I have no idea of prices unfortunately.

I think a template would best be made out of some cheap soundproofing carpet.

I need to sort it this year the front is full of oil....

I should have spotted it as a T4 straight away, I have a T5 and we used to have a T4! It was the non-standard steering wheel that confused me.

You're probably right about cheap carpet, I have traditionally made templates for a lot of things out of cereal boxes and couldn't think outside the box. :D
DavidL

Postby lankyjames » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 pm

I need to stop the leak from the sunroof first and foremost, buy a change of seats and while the old ones are out, swap in some new carpets :)

But trying to find a replacement sunroof is proving very very difficult!

I do believe I have a roll of cheap carpet somewhere, I think sold as boot liner protection.

Template material?: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 4673393091
lankyjames

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 pm

lankyjames wrote:I need to stop the leak from the sunroof first and foremost, buy a change of seats and while the old ones are out, swap in some new carpets :)

But trying to find a replacement sunroof is proving very very difficult!

I do believe I have a roll of cheap carpet somewhere, I think sold as boot liner protection.

Template material?: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 4673393091

1.4 metres sounds wide enough (4' 7" by my reckoning) but I'd have to measure it first to be certain. Certainly wouldn't break the bank.

Thinking about it, I don't think I have any undercarpet soundproofing either. My Bronze had that foam/lead/foam sandwich in some places, foam/plastic/foam in others. Any idea where I'd get that? - although I presume Alistair Courtney might be the person to speak to about that.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm

a quick google came up with loads http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Lead ... _300mm_LFS

and how about some cheap LED headlights http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/LED_ ... _PROLEDSET
Stuart

Next

Return to Complete Midas rebuild