BKA 689X Gold Cabriolet

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: BKA 689X Gold Cabriolet

Postby ACourtney » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:40 pm

Ouch, that looks nasty :shock:

I hope that it doesn't slow down your efforts too much. I'm looking forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh.

Alistair
ACourtney

Postby streetsy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:22 pm

ACourtney wrote:Ouch, that looks nasty :shock:

I hope that it doesn't slow down your efforts too much. I'm looking forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh.

Alistair

I'm still aiming to tax the car on April 1st to give me a months driving around before Stoneleigh, Fingers crossed.
I nipped to the garage for 5 minutes today to check things, no oil leaking from the repaired sump plug, bit of a water leak from the hose into the heater matrix but I haven't got my carpets in at the moment so no big problem, and its only water as I haven't got the header tank I intend on fitting yet so i will have to drain down to fit that. below is a picture of the repair to the sump plug and of the engine bay. The engine has a temporary rocker cover and the old header tank on so I could run it so should look shinier when its done as the rocker cover and dash pot are with my mate who runs a polishing business.
Attachments
Sump repair.jpg
Sump repaired
Sump repair.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 11793 times
Engine bay 311214.jpg
Engine bay at present
Engine bay 311214.jpg (127.16 KiB) Viewed 11793 times
streetsy

Postby Jvr19630 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

Ouch for the hand as well.
Some good looking work going on again Streetsy. Keep it up.
Jvr19630

Update 8th Jan

Postby streetsy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 pm

I have received the spring kit I have ordered for the front of the car, subframe was modified whilst it was out ready to fit them. I also got my bits back from the lad I work with who does polishing, they look good. I have also made a start on my dash front, still a couple of wrinkles to sort but its a start nevertheless.
Attachments
Polished Bits.jpg
Shiney bits.
Polished Bits.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 11449 times
Watsons Springs.jpg
Spring Kit
Watsons Springs.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 11449 times
Dash Front.jpg
Dash Front
Dash Front.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 11449 times
streetsy

Postby wolfie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:59 am

out of interest how much did the front suspension spring kit cost and did it come with the turret top? Got the springs from a friend but can't find anyone who can do the machine work round here fr the turret caps
wolfie

Postby streetsy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 pm

wolfie wrote:out of interest how much did the front suspension spring kit cost and did it come with the turret top? Got the springs from a friend but can't find anyone who can do the machine work round here fr the turret caps

The kit included springs, thin Hi-lo's, knuckle joints and plastic top caps (I assume to stop the springs rubbing on the subframe/turret top). The cost including VAT and delivery was £162. The welded on subframe turrets I made myself, see picture below.
Attachments
Turret Tops.jpg
Weld on suspension Turrets
Turret Tops.jpg (102.75 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
streetsy

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Beautiful build, this car will be a stunner. On my gearbox the oil drain plug was shot as well. As standard procedure the people from Miniminded put a helicoil in, problem solved.
Hans Efde

Postby streetsy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Hans Efde wrote:Beautiful build, this car will be a stunner. On my gearbox the oil drain plug was shot as well. As standard procedure the people from Miniminded put a helicoil in, problem solved.

I was going to put a helicoil in but I thought if I go up as far as M20 and bond it in too it will hopefully not pull again as the sleeve won't move in the gearbox only the plug will turn in the sleeve.
streetsy

Postby manifold » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Welcome to the dark side with the spring conversion. You won't be disappointed ;)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

BKA 689X Update

Postby streetsy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Having trimmed the dash panel and fitted it loosely, I have made it with hidden bolts so fitting and removal is a doddle, I wasn't happy with the backing behind the vinyl (too soft) so it came off and I re-trimmed again this time using denser foam backing, it looks better now but I may re-trim again given time and add some red stitching as embellishment and to match the gaiter I made (see below). I have also trimmed the top dash pad In the same vinyl. I have made the side panels for the centre console and trimmed those too, had to get out the sewing machine to get the fit correct though, so whilst it was out I made a gear-stick gaiter in black with red stitched French seams. I have also tried to engine turn the ally plate that the clocks mount to using the pillar drill. Engine bay is almost done, brakes are re-plumbed, wiring nearing completion but still the list seems never ending.
Attachments
Turned clocks.jpg
My attempt at engine turning
Turned clocks.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 11306 times
Centre console 2.jpg
Centre console trimmed
Centre console 2.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 11306 times
Dash +console.jpg
Dash panel and centre console (un-trimmed)
Dash +console.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 11306 times
streetsy

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild