Mk 3 Q705CPF

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk 3 Q705CPF

Postby Stuart » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:52 am

wolfie wrote:Seen a few pics of that 1 floating around the tinterweb Kelvin but never discovered what the headlights were off. Not seen any pictures/info of the inside or engine size/spec though

Simon is on the forum somewhere with his car, but I can't seem to find it. Found it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1097

Here's his Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/59695866@N05/
Stuart

Postby bushbaby » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 am

The headlights were just standard 5.75" items. The covers where made using high density foam which was carved until I was happy with the shape, then glass, gel then paint.

The mechanism is just a straight bar mounted across the front; the headlights then clamp to the bar. The motor for the popup mechanism was of a ford probe headlamp lift motor.

My thread title is Midas Gold Q997 WAK. I'll put more photo's and updates once I get the new motor running.

I love my seriously chavved car. Not to everyones taste but I like it :D

Simon
bushbaby

Postby kelvink » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:35 am

That's the car. I was looking all over to try and find some more photos.

Sorry Simon for not liking it but I have to agree they are great cars which once you get the bug for you just have to love them. I'm doing some serious mods to my Mk2 which I'm sure some folk will not like much and could label mine a "Carlos Fandango" (if anyone remembers that advert) This is the beauty of kit cars we can build them and tweak them to out own tastes. I do think the side hinged bonnet is a pretty smart idea.
kelvink

Postby Jin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:44 am

That car looks fantastic, one thing I've picked up on is midas owners are very hands on, more so than I've experienced in any car club I've been in,

This does pose the problem for me that an average normal rebuild just isn't going to be good enough. :D
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby ACourtney » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:29 am

Sadly we seldom get to see many of these modified cars at events. Whether this is because the owners are shy, or they seek such levels of perfection that they do not want to show their creations off until they are totally satisfied with them, I don't know.
Thankfully, a few owners have bucked this trend. Kelvin has been along to most the shows in his slightly less than perfect ;) Gold coupe, whilst Streetsy showed up at Stoneleigh with his convertible just a few days after buying it and has subsequently visited other shows, where we have been able to witness the steady progress.
So the message(and this is for every Midas owner) is don't be shy. Bring your car along if its running, or come without it if its not - bring some photos!. But do come along and meet the club members at the shows. You will find a bunch of like minded enthusiasts keen to discuss their cars and to find out about yours.
ACourtney

Postby axshack » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Quick SITREP:
obtained a new set of silicone hoses all the way from China !
Arrived in 6 days as they said they would and fit perfectly - Photo later !
Alternator was seized solid, so replacement fitted. New thermo switch for engine fan needed, and the entire waterworks system needs a very good flush through (or two) to remove all the gunk that has accumulated these past 12 years !!

Clutch NOT seized...good !
Brakes being cleaned, but linings all good.
Engine oil to be flushed through and renewed as will the hydraulic fluids. Meanwhile, cleaning up and rust preventing of subframes has been given to the nipper in the workshop !
Once this is all done, attempting a MOT test !!
axshack

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi all, I can now report that my Midas is legal and roadworthy again! Today I went online and taxed it!

There was a long list of things to fix and/or replace in the mechanicals and electricals needing about £300 worth of parts....and many, many hours of labour to pay for !!

I will get the car back tomorrow, so more pictures to follow :D

Dave
axshack

Postby Rich » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Congratulations!
Rich

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks a lot Rich ! Looking forward to giving it a blast now to blow the cobwebs of 12 years worth of storage out !!

D
axshack

Postby manifold » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Good stuff!
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild