L_Jonez Mk2 rebuild

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: L_Jonez Mk2 rebuild

Postby kelvink » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:01 pm

I quite like the quad light idea myself too. 4 Hellas though will be pretty expensive so I've some other options in mind to do. In the meantime Alan Donowho has done this already and it looks good.

Here's a photo of his....

kelvink

Postby l_jonez » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Finished off the lower arm mounting

Original pins have been shortened and everything fits as standard (just shorter)

Really need to order some more box section and figure out an engine hoist as this engine and frame is getting a bit heavy now
l_jonez

Postby l_jonez » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Apparently the box section I'm waiting for has been shipped.... Finally but whilst I been waiting I've got on with the boring stuff like welding in some gussets and capping off open ends

I got to get the frame finished now as I need to get the Midas back on its wheels.
l_jonez

Postby l_jonez » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:10 pm

Well with the subframe finished it was time for the Midas to sit on all 4 wheels again

l_jonez

Postby l_jonez » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:58 pm

Well a bit of an update, engine mount was flipped 180 and the frame side cut off and moved across. Which proved a right pain in the ass as it had been fully seam welded. Any way it's done now and the manifold fits :)

I have always been to type to fabricate something myself ( or at least try) before buying it so up next was the turbo manifold flange. Some scrap 12mm plate was sourced and with nothing except for a hacksaw and a pillar drill I knocked one up
Fits like a glove
Now to weld it all up
l_jonez

Postby l_jonez » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Well something more Midas related than my normal engine swap posts... In an attempt to tidy up the engine bay I decided to relocate the wipe motor into the cab.

Just need to make a bracket to hold the motor in place now and make some sort of cover to box it in and cut down the noise.
l_jonez

Postby l_jonez » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 pm

A few weeks ago I made a pretty large order with mini spares which should provide 95% of the parts I need to finish the Midas.

Probably the most expensive single item was a new yellow tag master cylinder, today I suddenly had the sinking feeling that the yellow tag was taller than the unknown I removed so I rushed out the garage and put it in place

It only just fits, thank God.
l_jonez

Postby l_jonez » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Well today was spent making the fuel lines, what a ball ache they are! Just waiting for the clips to arrive now then the rear beam can go on for good.

l_jonez

Postby MrBounce » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:41 am

Fuel lines look good - I presume they'll be "P" clipped into place?

I too had a similar issue with the yellow tag M/C - but with mine being a Mk1 I had to modify the bonnet liner.
MrBounce

Postby l_jonez » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Yep clips arrived yesterday, they should have been here before Xmas when I actually had time to install them.
l_jonez

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild