Moth Busting Mk 2 Decathlon

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Moth Busting Mk 2 Decathlon

Postby fozzza » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 am

It has been a while since my last update and have managed to get a fair bit done. I haven't burnt the midnight oil but managed to do a bit most days, as long as progress was being made I was happy.
I am no bodywork expert but have been working on the front spoiler, I couldn't leave it in its previous condition especially with the crack in it and felt like having a go repairing it myself.
The spoiler filled and flatted down.
Image51 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Now Filler primer
Image52 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
I'm quite pleased with the results so far, and now on to some mechanical stuff.

The front suspension is now complete with all new bearings, bushes, ball joints, brakes etc.
Image53 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Image54 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
And the same with the rear suspension, I was also lucky enough to be able to borrow a 13/16" reamer off a work colleague so I could recondition the radius arms myself, also fitted the petrol tank and exhaust back on.
Image55 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
The coilovers courtesy of Dave at Dampertech.
Image56 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
I have also fitted a pair of new wing mirrors as the old ones were in a bit of a sorry state. It took me an age to choose a pair I thought might complement the looks of the car but even then you can never be 100% sure.

If nothing else the photos will be reference for other owners if deciding to change theirs.
Image57 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Image58 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
At some stage I need to filler that hole in the cover.
Image59 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Just to confirm they are Vitaloni Californian Mirrors from Demon Tweeks.

And last of all the engine bay is nearly finished, just a few little things to do.
Image60 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
The battery clamp is courtesy of Jon and Goldeneye, why try to alter a good idea? and the air box at the bottom of the windscreen is stuck back on, thanks to the expert advice from Alistair.

I am now concentrating my efforts in refitting the interior back, only in its original form so I can get the car MOT'D but I do want to update it at some point and make it a rolling project as with loads of other jobs still to do.
Last edited by fozzza on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
fozzza

Postby kelvink » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 am

This is really good seeing people doing fabulous rebuilds.

Great job there. and thanks for posting the pics.

The mirrors do look pretty good too, looking forward to seeing how they are on the road too as the Renault ones tend to be just the wrong shape for good visibility. I sorted out the Rear view mirror in the car as that was really dire but now I've moved it I can see everything behind me.

Excellent work
kelvink

Postby goldeneye » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Excellent work! Looks verry Nice!

I am very curious about your exhaust, have you more pictures from your exhaust?
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:26 pm

goldeneye wrote:Excellent work! Looks verry Nice!

I am very curious about your exhaust, have you more pictures from your exhaust?

Indeed it looks fabulous.

The exhaust looks like a standard Midas stainless system like this.

motor 0783 p01.JPG
motor 0783 p01.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 11459 times
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Will the nearside mirror swivel far enough so that you can see anything useful in it, because the Vitaloni Sebring won't! :evil:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby fozzza » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 pm

Thank you gents for the kind words and praise, I must admit the advice from members, tips, information and other projects found on the forum I have found invaluable and has helped me immensely. You are correct Stuart it is a standard Midas stainless system and thank you for providing the pictures, it has saved me scrawling under the car again. ( I owe you one ).
Roy
fozzza

Postby fozzza » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:30 am

Geoff Butcher wrote:Will the nearside mirror swivel far enough so that you can see anything useful in it, because the Vitaloni Sebring won't! :evil:

I must admit the Sebring mirrors were also on my hit list, I liked their compact shape but was concerned about what field of view they gave due to their close fitting to the car. Searching on google images I found a classic Mini fitted with Vitaloni Californian mirrors and they seemed to look ok, so I decided to give them a try.
I have drawn a simple diagram showing the field of view I have. The measurements are just a rough guide.
Image61 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
I hope this helps
Roy
fozzza

Postby fozzza » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:48 am

It has been a month since my MK 2 got back on the road and I have enjoyed getting behind the wheel again. Apart from a couple little issues ( headlight switch playing up and the clutch master cylinder developed a slight weep by the plastic reservoir ) everything else has worked fine.

Image70 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Image71 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Image72 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Image73 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

There is still a lot to do on the car and one of the next must do jobs is to refurbish all 4 door hinges, as the doors drop quite badly. At Stanford Hall mini day, Alistair took a look at the hinges on my Midas and confirmed they are the earlier type ones which are more difficult to repair, so its not going to be a five minute job. As soon as winter sets in the dash will come out and the doors off.
Roy
fozzza

Postby goldeneye » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:41 am

Nice pictures!

Since mine door hinges on one side have the same problem.. i am very interested how this can be fixed!
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 pm

How are you finding the Californian mirrors? Are they flat or convex lenses?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild