59-JS-NS Gold convertible work in progress

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: 59-JS-NS Gold convertible work in progress

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Update 23 September 2018
The Convertible season is nearing its end. What a summer it was, the best in 300 years. I did a few thousand miles to various meetings and tours. During its voyages I encoutered a few new problems:

CO adjustment.
Driving a tuned engine means finding a proper needle for the carb. With my Lambda probe it was quite easy. It just meant taking the needle out a few times and grinding it slowly to it's proper thickness. Now I have lambda 13.0 when accelerating and over 14.8 at cruise. I have to correct occasionally for air temperature though, but it's just turning the CO screw half a turn in or out.

Carburettor overflowing.
I spent a few weeks finding the problem of carburettor overflowing. I thought it was the needle in the bowl, ordered a new one, but it didn't seal. Eventually I found the fuel pressure too high. I thought it was the pressure regulator, but adjusting it didn't work. Then I checked the return line to the tank (turbo system) and found it be kinked. The kink was removed by rerouting the rubber line, this corrected the high pressure which now dropped to 0.4 bar. This cured the overflow.

Waterpump.
When coming home I noticed a line of drips on the pavement after parking the car in the garage. I noticed coolant coming from a small hole in the waterpump:
It's called the weep hole and indicated a failing bearing.
I ordered a new waterpump just to appear on time for a new meeting. I noticed this one (from Minisport) to have a proper skimmed flange in contrast to the old rubbish one I removed:
There is a lot of difference between brands, but you just don't see this type of details on Ebay.

Fanswitch.
During the drive to Zandvoort all went well, but going home the engine overheated. While waiting for the AA I found the fan switch not working. When the AA appeared, he installed a bypass and switch so I could operate the fan from inside:

Photoshoot.
One of the last highlights of this season was a photoshoot for a magazine thanks to Peter Camping's connections. The article in the Dutch magazine Great British Cars was an amazing 10 pages with high quality pics. Just wow.

Depending on the weather I might do just another tour or meeting before it is going in its wintersleep. I sorn the car in this period to save some costs. I encountered quite a few problems this year, but now it seems reliable. For next year I plan a small repair on the engine to solve a small oil leak (gasket timing chain cover) and start working on the interior. It needs new carpet and probably I will change the grey vinyl to black.
Hans Efde

Re: 59-JS-NS Gold convertible work in progress

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:11 am

This week I received the pictures from the photographer he made of our cars for the Great British Cars Magazine. I have oploaded them to Flickr. You can find them here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/midasracer/

Here is an example:
Hans Efde

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild