MK3 Coupe project. The wifes fault, really, it was.

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: MK3 Coupe project. The wifes fault, really, it was.

Postby fozzza » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:15 pm

MrBounce wrote:Ouch! Hopefully you have a replacement - that doesn't look very repairable. :o

Yes, id already got this little beauty. I bought it off Alistair at the same time I purchased the car. It was on the shelf at Alistair's workshop, in as new condition and already galvanized. I would have been hard pressed to find another in similar condition, so it was a no brainer really. This should last me many a year. :D

The ongoing decorating of the front room also gives good reason and another place to store a few of my car bits for a while. ;)

Image107 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Roy
fozzza

Postby fozzza » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:50 am

With the subframe and petrol tank removed from the car the next task was to give the underside a good clean, it was nice to see the true colour of the car.
Image116 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

Whilst in the cleaning mode I decided tackle part of the aged gel coat around rear light area prior to fitting the lights back in, and I must admit even though I felt like the karate kid (Wax on Wax off), it being painstakingly slow doing it all by hand as I'm not really confident enough yet to use power tools, the colour is starting to come back, far from perfect but getting there.
Image117 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Roy
fozzza

Postby fozzza » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm afraid this year has turned out to be quite a busy year with one thing and another and not all project car related :( . I'm happy to say, the car is back on its rear wheels with fuel tank also fitted. At the moment I'm using the original coilovers, but they will have to be changed as the corrosion on them is an instant MOT failure. I am going to research a bit more into my choice of coilovers apposed to my method with my MK2 and purchased what was readily available. I must be fair that the GAZ coilovers did allow me to get my MK2 back on the road and enjoy driving it again, even though they are not perfect and the car does sit a liittle high. With my MK3 I want a bit more and for the coilovers to do their job properly with better ride height.
The car has now been turned around (it gives a little more room working with the garage doors open) I know a small garage is better than no garage at all, but it does make it a logistical nightmare keep moving the car around to make room to work on the car
Everything has now been removed from the front end and so I have given the engine bay a good clean.
Image132 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

Oil, grease and dirt do help cover a multitude of sins and now clean, part of the bulk head is showing signs of heat damage.( I didn't think the MK3 suffered the same problem as the MK1/2, I thought it was just the central tunnel that had that problem ). While I'm at this stage I may as well use the same heat shield as I did with my MK2.
Image133 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Roy
fozzza

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild