IVA pass for Gold Convertible

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

IVA pass for Gold Convertible

Postby mellors55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:01 pm

I am sure that many of you will remember this unfinished Gold convertible coming up for sale last February on this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2550

After viewing and some discussion with Alistair about chances of getting it through IVA, I decided to take the plunge and have a go.
I collected the kit at the start of June 2016 and just over 1 year later I took it for IVA at the Nottingham centre.
It has passed first time with the only adjustment needed during the test was a slight tweaking of the carburetor. The examiner was very complementary about the quality and strength of the original bodyshell (from 1994, supplied by GTM)
I must say that Alistair has been very helpful and supportive throughout this process and this Forum has supplied a lot of information that were not apparent from the build manual. There were quite a few things that I was not too sure about because I had not dismantled the donor and just had a few boxes of bits, some of which I could not recognise.
The kit, as purchased, was missing a few parts. Some were supplied by Alistair and I made the others myself from pictures of other peoples cars on this forum. Ebay proved to be a good source of the other bits I needed.
There really was not that many things that needed modifying to satisfy the IVA test.
The main things were:
* The frames for the side windows had sharp edges both inside and out. To get around this I bonded on some black 'D' section UPVC of a suitable size. This looks surprisingly original and was not even questioned by the IVA examiner.
* I was a bit worried about the single piece steering column so I replaced this with one from the later Rover metro. The early ones are almost the same as the one from my 1989 model but have a universal jointed, offset section at the bottom.
* I needed to modify the switching of the rear fog lights so that they extinguish when the ignition is turned off and don't come back on again when the ignition is switched back on.
* There were various sharp edges under the dash that needed covering.
* I was a bit worried about the seat belt, seat and roll bar mounting points, particularly those through the double skinned floor. All floor mounting points were modified in a similar fashion to the system that has been explained on this forum by Alistair a number of times. This was by initially drilling oversize holes and filling the void with a resin/matt mix. I also put very large steel plates to the rear of the seat belt, roll bar and seat mounting points. I also increased the sizes of the bolts I used to mount these items, particularly the roll bar.
* I made sure that the brake and fuel pipes were well protected from the heat in the central tunnel. I also made up an aluminium heat shield for the central tunnel area at the front bulkhead where the exhaust pipe comes close.
* All flexible fuel pipes were replaced with correctly marked items.
* I mounted the indicator side repeater lamps lower down on the front wing so that they were clear of the door mirrors.
* To avoid any problems with tyre clearance and speedo calibration, I decided to keep it simple and use 165/65/13 tyres on the MG alloy rims that came with the kit. I also changed the speedo head for one from an MG metro. The speedo was reading slightly high across the whole speed range when tested for the IVA.
I can supply more info about these mods if anyone is interested, as I took plenty of photos to avoid awkward questions from the examiner.
All I need to do now is to work out how to fill in the registration forms for the DVLA. I am hoping to get an age related reg. because all the major parts came from one donor.
Again, I would like to thank Alistair for his advice and patience over the past twelve months!

John
Attachments
IMG_20170621_101301872.jpg
At the IVA test (June 2017)
IMG_20170621_101301872.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 8589 times
20160602_143816.jpg
Collecting the kit (June 2016)
20160602_143816.jpg (898.04 KiB) Viewed 8589 times
mellors55

Re: IVA pass for Gold Convertible

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Congratulations on the build and SVA. Don't forget to inform CKC magazine when you have your plates. Might inspire new builds.
Hans Efde

Return to Complete Midas rebuild