Mk11 Rebuild (will it ever get finished)

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mk11 Rebuild (will it ever get finished)

Postby FlossyThePig » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:26 pm

Long time no see.

I have an old Mk11 to languishing in my garage on four flat tyres and it's about time I did something with it. For a long time I hoped to replace the A series engine with an electric motor and batteries. Technology has moved on in leaps and bounds and there are now kits available that make the process simpler but not cheaper. First came Swindon Powertrain with an expensive (>£30k) conversion kit. Now Electrogenic have developed a cheaper kit for a Mini which comes as a complete package fitted on a new subframe at a less eye watering £18k.

Another thing I am contemplating is replacing the wiring harness spaghetti with a CANBUS system.

Am I being too ambitious?

Anyway my first task is to remove everything and start with a bare shell. This is going to be a long process so updates may be slow coming.

Hugh
FlossyThePig

Re: Mk11 Rebuild (will it ever get finished)

Postby dusz » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:20 pm

So there is another Midas in Suffolk. I am just a little north of Stowmarket.

What sort of range would you get with the electric conversion and where would the batteries be fitted?
dusz

Re: Mk11 Rebuild (will it ever get finished)

Postby FlossyThePig » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:01 am

Range of the various drop in packages is not great and can vary between 100 and 150 miles.
FlossyThePig

Return to Complete Midas rebuild