Midas Bronze Custom Build

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas Bronze Custom Build

Postby metzymotive » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:33 am

Hi im wayne from Stoke On Trent, as in the introduction section most should have seen i brought an 83 A reg Midas Bronze coupe on ebay a fw weeks back now as below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-MIDAS-BRONZE_W0QQitemZ180335190571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item180335190571&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

the parts list needed was quite big

1) A pair of doors with windows
2) A pair of rear quarter windows
3) A bonnet
4) A tailgate which from what i lead to believe is single construction of a piece of glass with lift ram attachments, again im thinking of making out of Perspex, this time industrial Polished stuff about 10mm thick for rigidity around the seals
5) A Windscreen which im led to believe from a well known source is a standard Fiat 126 item
6) A pair of bumpers which ill make either from scratch or using Mk2 golf GTi phase 1 donors :twisted:
7) An interior of sort
8) A carb which IF i keep the A series in there i can source a carb easy enough, i have a HIF38 sitting somewhere :?
9) An exhaust, i have three to choose from so will be a full stainless system either way..

So off we went to Merseyside to go an collect it and got there to find this

quite good i thought, was pleased, its straight and true and all pretty original, only two fibre cracks noticed the rest is just gel coat age/heat cracking

the owner had another which was his little toy, not a bad little car and got to see what mine could be like finnished

So all strapped on and coming back

2 problems that we noticed upon checking it at service station on way back

1) the rear wheels are bolted up against the rear shocks, the bodging monky who owned it before was convinced it was hard to roll "as the brakes have rusted due to been standing" , yeah right....

2) My mate really cant fit in the drivers seat, thats with seat right back and his feet pressing the pedals :lol: :lol:

was parked up next to my phase 1 and covered untill i had more time

for those interested a nice little conversion just completed last week

2005 182 engine into a 2000 Clio 172 8-)

After Many helpfull emails on here from a few people i got offered a pair of door shells from the main man himself for a perfect price :D so off i went to blackpool to collect them

fit quite nice i think so id like to say a big thankyou again to David for the doors and for the help and advice and letting me look at both his cars for ideas :)

then last night won another part i needed which is quite a rare part from what ive seen - a Fiat 126 windscreen, guess what this was situated in Blackpool as well :roll: so yet another road trip and we have this

I have decided im putting the full Audi TT interior in 8-) front AND rear seats and the door cards with Audi door pulls etc as well, even tempted to put electric windows in as well but not sure :oops:

so the needed list is drastically reduced now
metzymotive

Re: Midas Bronze Custom Build

Postby manifold » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 am

Great stuff Wayne.

Was good to meet you and your dad. Glad to see they fit. Look forward to more project pics.

I made some moulds off the mirror pods. Not great but they do they job, just need hand prep before use.

Next time I get the GRP out I will make a few.

Cheers,

D
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:32 am

Nice read Wayne.

What's the glass from in the last photo?

Stuart
Stuart

Postby metzymotive » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 am

Well an update... :|

Im now going to be a dad, due in september :mrgreen: over the foookig moon :P

Unfortunately this does mean the mini collection is to go not just for money but also space and time of which ill have none soon enough, so i have a 79 clubby estate to go, a fully caged ad lightend race shell, quite sold 87 city and then offcourse this Midas, ideally needing to be gone this week

im gonna advertise the midas on here for a few days as i dont want to turn it into an ebay car, its a straight, propper reg example and with someone with the time and patience i dont imagine it would be that hard to do so if interested, contact me on here or call or txt 07595 155 623

Wayne
metzymotive

Return to Complete Midas rebuild