Midas Gold Convertible

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Midas Gold Convertible

Postby max midas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Rich,
fantastic effort, you should be proud of your efforts, I'm envious of the sparkle on your paintwork especially.
Can you tell me where the centre console between the seats came from? - the one in the picture with Pepper. Is it a metro item?
max midas

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 pm

max midas wrote:Hi Rich,
fantastic effort, you should be proud of your efforts, I'm envious of the sparkle on your paintwork especially.
Can you tell me where the centre console between the seats came from? - the one in the picture with Pepper. Is it a metro item?

Hi Max,

Thank you!

The paintwork is actually Gelcoat and it's due a visit from the buffer and cutting compound again. The picture with Pepper is of him sat in my better halves Mk1 MX5 and not my Midas unfortunately.
Rich

Postby Rich » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 am

Well, here we are almost 12 months later and the MOT is looming. Whilst not completely trouble free there have only been three problems that have taken the car off the road temporarily. First off was losing the timing ring for the MegaJolt just outside Bristol, I heard it bounce off the underside of the car when it went though the car continued running until I finally came off the Motorway in Birmingham. Apparently that's impossible, but it happened.

Second problem was a blocked tank breather, dirt had blocked the roll over valve and the pump tried to suck the tank inside out which wrecked the pump and left me pressurising the tank with the airline to pop the tank back out to shape. The third incident was the head gasket blowing between 2 and 3 this last week which I've fixed today. Over the next few days I'll sort out the loose ends for the MOT and start looking forward to another 12 months of Midas motoring.
Rich

Postby Stuart » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:40 am

How many miles did you do in that year Rich?
Stuart

Postby Rich » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Stuart wrote:How many miles did you do in that year Rich?

Oh yes, I forgot the dash went up the swanny too.... The digital dash has about 2500 on it right now.
Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 am

Fingers crossed, the little beast is in for it's MOT this morning.
Rich

Postby johnnyfixit » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm

what type of cutting paste did you use with your polisher and where from of course?
johnnyfixit

Postby Rich » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:12 pm

johnnyfixit wrote:what type of cutting paste did you use with your polisher and where from of course?

Hi Johnny,

It was Farleca G3 and I got it online from a automotive refinishing supplier, no idea which one but there are quite a few sellers on Ebay.

Rich
Rich

Postby Rich » Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Amazingly I'm now four years in with the Midas.

It hasn't moved much over the winter, due mainly to the crap heater and the availability of a warm, waterproof and ridiculously fast Impreza. It's currently just out of MOT as I need to send one of the rear coilovers back to Protech as it's sprung a leak. I've also gotten properly sick of buffing down the fast oxidising gelcoat back to something that's still vaguely embarrassing to be seen in so as of now I'm prepping the car for painting.

I have 5 litres of epoxy primer which is intended specifically for GRP so the body shell will finally be getting a properly waterproof coating which will hopefully promote it's long term survival. So far I've rubbed down the removable panels, filling in multiple moulding pinholes and small amounts of damage with epoxy filler. This evening has been spent separating the stiffeners from the rear of the bonnet and grinding out several pounds of whatever crap had been used to stick them there in the first place in anything up to 6mm thick dollops.

While it's off the road I'll also be adding some bracing to the roll bar and moving the battery out of the engine compartment.
Rich

Previous

Return to Complete Midas rebuild