KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Maybe you're squeezing all you can out of a 998, or going large-bore with a 1380 (or even larger!) - either way, let us know all about it here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Postby manifold » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Not at the moment Stuart. Its all stock piling at the moment ready for the build up in the winter months.

I've put an order in for some Ti hub carriers though. Not due for another 6-8 weeks. Once I've done that I'm having some Ti rear radius arms made up to go with the rear discs.

titanium-front-upright.jpg
titanium-front-upright.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 9457 times

In the mean time I am going to take out the front subframe from the Convertible and put it in the Coupe. Building another coil spring front suspension in the mean time using these bits of Ti and putting that in the Convertible.

Today I stripped the KAD head down for inspection. Checking over the valves. Thats the down side of 16 valves.......having to do 16. Plus the associated shiming x16 when its put back together. This is because you don't set the valve clearances with rockers.....everything has to be measure up and set to 8 and 9 thou. grinding the shims by hand to suit.

Not like the 7 port. Thats a lot easier to work on.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I always fancied some Ti hub-carriers, you just need some bottom arms and an anti-roll bar to suit now ;)

Can't wait to see the finished set-up :)

the Micra engine is the same regarding the shims and buckets, its a great little engine :) just need to get one in a Midas one day......
Stuart

Postby manifold » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Thats interesting about the Micra engine with buckets and shims. Great for high revving (because hydraulic lifters are crap at high revs) but very laborious to hand grind, unless you've a workshop with loads of different sizes.

I must say I am looking forward to building the front up myself. Nice and shiny, light weight, strong and will never rust. PIty it such a bl**dy expensive material to work with. Someone told me 21st C was the century of Ti, in much the same as aluminium was the metal of the 20th C. Not sure how true that is but hey ho , I'll have a go. :)

Bottom arms are going to be a problem due to the way the metro arms are constructed with the anti-roll bar in the end, which allows for rotation of the anti-roll bar when the arm rises and falls. I've spoke to Carl about it. We shall see, its on the back burner, but your right, it would be better if it matched.

The hub carriers are an interesting machining exercise. He machines the front first. Welds up all the bits and pieces, like the brake caliper mounting ears, top and bottom ball joint fixings and strengthener rib, the back cowling. Then afterwards puts the whole lot back in the lathe to machine the back bearing area. The hub carriers are an exact replica of the metro carrier, except in Ti. All the pivot angles are the same. So are the steering arm mounting points.\

On a separate note.....there's a lot of weight to be lost in the rear subframe..

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am

A knowlegable Micra owner has a 1.0L engine that he says revs to 9000 realiably with just a cam change. He says the 1.3L revs to about 7500-8000 with just a cam-change, only the sroke is different as they share the same bore.

Yes it will now be very hard to draw the line on where the Ti stops :) seems to me that it could have addictive properties :D I'm pretty sure a group buy wouldn't be a very good idea unless of course you can get a 200-300% discount :o

If your going for the rose-jointed radius arms I'm sure just four simple brackets would replace the subframe, then you just need a pair of matched handbrake cables.

Don't forget the Ti T-bar arrangement to keep it something like rigid too.
Stuart

Postby manifold » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:44 pm

I don't need to make the car anymore rigid. I don't really have all these scuttle shake problems that others seem to be suffering.

OK, theres a little bit, but nothing I would loose sleep over. Maybe its because I had one of the first Pastiche cars, where they seemed to over build them before it all went a bit pear shaped. Looking at the general thickness of the laminates, compared to the Coupe, I would say so. Especially in the centre tunnel area. Its a few laminates deeper I think. I remember when I had to put the seat belts in, the sills were really deep in laminates. I had to get longer bolts as the standard ones weren't long enough to get to the threads.

Same issue with the side repeaters. Laminate was really thick there too. Had to deep shamfer the back edge to get a purchase on the clips.

TVR were impressed when they were bending the frame this way and that to see what the flex was. They couldn't achieve the same with theirs. Thats what the Racing & Development guys in TVR told me.

I'm wondering on whether to go for just a square (or rather rectangular) box section at the back bolted either side then rose joint off that. Its dead simple then, and infinitely adjustable, track width, camber and toe in/out. I think I'd rather do that than just plates/brackets. Means slightly more weight than plates though. But really easy to repair/replace in the future as I wouldn't be reliant on metro subframes. Rose joints are plentiful as they're used for racing.

All pipe dreams at the moment. ;)

manifold

Postby gooseman » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 pm

David, that is just an awesome car & thanks to all your hard work, it seems a shame to have a hood on it, i hope you have quick removal fixtures on it? Ive only recently had some experience with titanium fasteners, its amazing how light they are compared to steel & tough to cut with a hacksaw...i needed to shorten a couple and finally applied them to my belt sander which did a nice job.....jim
gooseman

Postby manifold » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi Jim, Thank you for your compliments. I appreciate it very much. Plenty of work though but fun and educational.

My mates said I should have a see through hood (bonnet) ;). Yes its got quick fasteners (but not too quick it flies off).

Titanium is a great material, light but strong but yes its hard to work with, main thing is the galling problems. Very resistant to corrosion though as well so its great for the UK, although its 'allegedly' dryer in southern UK apparently. ;)

Next job is the rear subframe and radius arms made up in ti to go with the rear alloy calipers and disk conversion. There's a heck of a lot of weight to lose on the back end with the cast rear arms and hubs.

I hope we will have some pictures of your Midas on here soon Jim. Will be great to see one with US plates on.

Kind regards,

David

manifold

Postby manifold » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Here are the pictures of the springs, as request Rich:

manifold

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Many thanks David.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:39 pm

no probs.

Just miffed about that upgrade. Supposedly automated to do backup, upgrade, restore.

Unfortunately needed due to vulnerabilities. I dont want the Midas forum to become a phishing for bank details forum!

manifold

PreviousNext

Return to A series engined projects