KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Maybe you're squeezing all you can out of a 998, or going large-bore with a 1380 (or even larger!) - either way, let us know all about it here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:44 pm

3. Omegas seem to go well with arrows. :)

Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

4. Alloy filter head (without the nasty return ball), roller bearing straight cut idler (to replace my existing idler). Makes life a darn site easier not having to shim the idler every time you do a rebuild..... and a steel flywheel bolt with heat treated washer. No lock tab will be used on this one.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

5. A nice shiney new EN40B forged steel crank...... I like the big numbers on the rev counter. :) Nice to have the confidence I can give it some pain. I flicked the crank with my finger and it made a lovely ping.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:45 pm

6. To hold that lot together down there I went for a set of caps......all 3 in fact............... Just a bit more insurance really.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:46 pm

7. .............And to top it off I had another block bored out to 73.5mm. Stud holes deepened to suit the KAD head bolts, along with the extra 2 stud holes to suit.

I'm looking forward to putting this lot together over the next couple of weeks once I have taken all the appropriate measurements to get the omegas pocketed.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:46 pm

I have dealt with quite a few mini suppliers of parts over quite a number of years and I must say that the quality of service I have had from both KAD and MED has been great. All parts to a extremely high standard, and produced within the timescales set, on time every time. What more can you ask for?

manifold

Postby Rich » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Excellent series of posts!

I can only aspire to the megajolt at the moment.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 am

:) I've only got here after a serious number of years. But honestly, if we dont wont to see our cars become a relic (which I still dont believe they are yet, despite comments to the contrarary), the only way to keep them interesting is to apply new and exciting technologies to them, whether it be engines, suspension, electronics or creature comforts.

I think the step you are making with the megajolt is a big one. The difference in the car, both in 'reliable' performance and wet/damp durability is a big one. Having a GRP car makes earths an even greater issue than a mini. It needs all the assistance it can get.

manifold

Postby absolute crest » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi

I was wondering about part-load calibration for the megajolt. What's your experience - no point? Hours driving up and down somewhere? Dyno time? Looks like TPS rather than MAP sensor for you, so I guess your focus is on full-load behaviour (erm...16v head etc) but refinement must be a question. I'm curious; I have a basket-case yet-to-run eBay indulgence and I recall all the dreadful water problems on Mini & Metro. MJ looks like a good idea to fix that, and a starting-point full-load calibration is easy, but part-load always takes ages. There's so much of it! A representation of the vac capsule could do, I suppose, but..? What do you reckon? No knock sensor, after all....

regards
absolute crest

Postby absolute crest » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Rats! stupid fingers made me post before I finished!

I also wondered about your experience with engines in general; I'm thinking of junior grand tourer for my basket-case, eventually, and yet you've gone a different way. No good as a GT, so go for the Unreasonably Powerful Engine route? No criticism intended, by the way, just looking for advice!

regards
absolute crest

PreviousNext

Return to A series engined projects