KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Maybe you're squeezing all you can out of a 998, or going large-bore with a 1380 (or even larger!) - either way, let us know all about it here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Dear all. will pop in some photos of the work I have been doing, getting in and working on a 16v KAD unit to fit in a Mk3 Convertible. Not an easy feat when you consider the considerable protusions of the carbs and cam pulleys.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Dry build picture of a KAD head on the bench. NOte this is the long cam head. Its easier to fit the long cam head as the bottom pulley arrangement allows for use of the existing Y engine mount (with a bit of light relief)

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:55 pm

...in order to get the Kad head in the white Convertible I had to do a slight bit of chopping to the nearside top.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 pm

I then have to cover it with a power bulge to cover the cam pulleys.

This was done by fabricating a brand new bonnet myself in GRP, using the old one as a mould to work from.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 pm

...this is inside the white convertible at the moment.

as you can see....i had my work cut out. I built this one myself from new about 17 years ago.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:01 pm

I have what is called a long cam version of the KAD head, unlike the current, short cam version which KAD now markets (due to competition from the now deceased Jack Knight 16v conversion as it was an easier mini fit).

In fact the head is apparently KAD head number 5. The early ones had difference in a few areas, such as the way the oil flows back to the block (from the back on mine via a pipe that bolts to where the fuel pump used to go) through to the use of EN40B steel Imp followers. The later heads use the wider BDA followers.

The exhaust manifold is a stainless 4 into 2 into 1, with a lambda plug which plumbs into a bespoke maniflow stainless exhaust. I need this plug on the manifold to use with the Innovate LM-1 data logger/Wide Band AFR sensor which is handy for setting up the car without access to rolling road.

The first cams I had fitted were the KAD2 fast road ones. I now have the L14 ones which are about 286 duration. The codes on the cams generally match the profiles of BDA engines as apparently they use the same profiles. Ideally I would have gone for the L1/BD3 combination which is a slightly softer variant of the L14/L14 variety.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:05 pm

here is the bottom pulley arrangement for an early KAD head. Note the square tooth arrangement. Later versions of this pulley had a round tooth profile called a HTD profile to reduce risk of teeth jumping on cold startup (when belt is at its slackest):

As you can see it is basically a machined pulley which plugs into the middle of a 1275cc A series pulley (with the damper)

I am having a new one made up at KAD with a trigger wheel fitted to the back of the pulley so that I can run my megajolt on it.

......which is a really good upgrade to any mini I thoroughly recommend! Since fitting megajolt the cars performance has improved greatly in all conditions.

Did you know an alloy engine actually grows whilst it is warming up. That is why its a bad idea to check belt tension on a warm engine. You wont know the correct tension on a warm engine.....which means potential teeth jumping and issues with piston to valve contact.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:06 pm

to enable the KAD head to be fitted a few things have to be modified (although not to the same extent as the BMW k1xxxx series heads).

Notice the 2 bent front studs. Also note the head is fitted with bolts rather than studs.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07 pm

....also the 2 extra holes have to be drilled out ala cooper S.

The remaining existing holes have to be drilled down a bit further. This is because the bolts go further down than the studs.

The oil gallery hole which usuall feeds the head rockers on the 5 port is taped out to 8mm and plugged and sealed with a 8mm grub screw.

My KAD head had the usual arrangement for lubricating the cams via the existing oil gallery, however investigations with KAD told me they had found that that lubrication method was inadequate. To get round this you put a t piece in the oil pressure switch and pipe it round to the back of the cam carrier and feed externally.

A better oil supply is provided to the head via that method. Food for thought on a 5 port head if your not getting enough oil feed to your rockers.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 pm

to hold the bottom together I thought I better make sure it was up to scratch so I fitted a centre strap to the engine.

The best bet though would be the 4 bolt straps method. Only problem with that is the extra cost of line boring....but if you want the best that is the way to go.

manifold

Next

Return to A series engined projects