KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Maybe you're squeezing all you can out of a 998, or going large-bore with a 1380 (or even larger!) - either way, let us know all about it here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: KAD engine in a white Mk3 Convertible does go

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:11 pm

various photos of the cam carriers and head on the long cam version

note the numbering of the cam followers/buckets to ensure they are in the right wear holes.

these need to be shimmed to ensure they fit with the correct valve gap. a bit more arduous than on the 5 port as these have to be ground by hand and measured to fit.... times 16. Micrometers are handy here. If someone knows a faster well please tell!

To the right hand side you can see the weber alpha Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which is used to measure the load factor to make the ignition 3D for the megajolt.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 pm

.... will be using the obligatory straight cut / close ration gears, along with straight cut transfer gears and centre oil pickup pipe. I cut a corner here and used the non roller bearing version of the idler bearing. Dans choice though is a better bet and easier to set up if I'm not mistaken.

I fitted a 4 pin cross bearing for the diff to be on the safe side.

Wish I had the pennys for a quaife ATB!

Also fitted a magnetic oil trap to back of gearbox. The one with the mesh fitted. They work well as long as they are cleaned REGULARLY to avoid C**p going to the pump.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:15 pm

I modified my megajolt system so that I could program the 3d maps via bluetooth from either a laptop, pocket pc or smart phone.

Its a lot more convenient being able to change the map as you are driving down the road!

Here it is being programmed on my pocket pc.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:16 pm

The oil pump is powered by a jackshaft from the crank. This is basically the existing timing setup to drive the cam, however in the KAD headed system there is no requirement for the cam timing here, so the cam lobes can be machined off to reduce reciprocating weight.

I then chose to use a high velocity timing setup that kent makes.

notice that it uses large simplex teeth on a totally different kind of chain

some people complain that these drives have wear problems.....but it doesnt matter to me if it does as I wont be running my timing from this anyway.....just the oil pump where the criticality factor is turning, not accurate positioning.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:17 pm

.....the revised bonnet fitted with the powerbulge to cover the cam pulleys.

I think it is the best I could do.

With hindsight I would have gone for the short cam KAD head as it would not be as showing...and less cutting to the front.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:19 pm

...another shot of the handy lambda plug

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:20 pm

which I will be using with this piece of kit

which can log over 40 different sensors.

I will be logging O2, G force (2 axis accelerometer), Exhaust gas temperature (EGT), RPM and timing.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:21 pm

I think I may need to modify the nearside Y mount (metro) to suit the bottom KAD pulley.

It runs a bit too close.

....and I just noticed that GRP dust thats there from when I cut out the front to ft the head needs blowing out!

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:22 pm

location of Ford coil pack for megajolt.....seems to be the favourite location for most a series cars

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:22 pm

home made loom for megajolt. only took an hour to make with shrink wrap.

manifold

PreviousNext

Return to A series engined projects