AVONBAR

Maybe you're squeezing all you can out of a 998, or going large-bore with a 1380 (or even larger!) - either way, let us know all about it here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

AVONBAR

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi all, I have rediscovered AvonBar Racing - who used to do the engines for Harold Dermott apparently - and who will be breathing new life into my old 1275, taking it out to 1380cc with a 255 mildly fast road spec cam and general TLC of the lump.
I am hoping to get the engine to them before Christmas as a present to me !!
I have heard very good things about Avonbar's capability and quality of engine preparation, so am really looking forward to getting 100 horses out of my car in the very near future !!

dave :D
axshack

Re: AVONBAR

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:27 am

That sounds awesome. My first factory built Midas had an Avonbar engine. That thing pulled and pulled with lots of torque. Made the whole car feel alive.You'll love it.
Hans Efde

Postby axshack » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:19 pm

thanks Hans, I am looking forward to it very much
Dave
axshack

Postby axshack » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:04 pm

OK, have today delivered my engine to Ian Hargreaves (Mr. AVONBAR himself).
It will come back to me spec'd as one of his old AVONBAR ZX engines: 1380cc, lightened flywheel, Stage 3 head. He will also refurbish the gearbox and clutch. The head will be passed out for the upgrade and unleading.

He reckons a very useable 100bhp, with a CR of 10:1, with the power coming on at 1500rpm.

Really looking forward to getting this back in the car when it should perform like the sports car it is :D

Dave
axshack

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:26 pm

axshack wrote:OK, have today delivered my engine to Ian Hargreaves (Mr. AVONBAR himself).
It will come back to me spec'd as one of his old AVONBAR ZX engines: 1380cc, lightened flywheel, Stage 3 head. He will also refurbish the gearbox and clutch. The head will be passed out for the upgrade and unleading.

He reckons a very useable 100bhp, with a CR of 10:1, with the power coming on at 1500rpm.

Really looking forward to getting this back in the car when it should perform like the sports car it is :D

Dave

Don't forget to have a long diff. installed (if not already). Midas factory advised a 3.15 for such an engine and I think it's perfect. With a long diff. the gap between 3 and 4 increases but the engine has enough torque to cope with that. On the motorway the engine does around 3000 to 3500rpm and it feels very happy in that powerband.
Hans Efde

Postby axshack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks Hans, I will ask Ian what he recommends

Dave
axshack

Postby axshack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:13 pm

Hans Efde wrote:
axshack wrote:OK, have today delivered my engine to Ian Hargreaves (Mr. AVONBAR himself).

Dave

Don't forget to have a long diff. installed (if not already). Midas factory advised a 3.15 for such an engine and I think it's perfect. With a long diff. the gap between 3 and 4 increases but the engine has enough torque to cope with that. On the motorway the engine does around 3000 to 3500rpm and it feels very happy in that powerband.

apologies for late response...luckily the final drive is 3.1 already, so am good to go. As Ian has said, this engine will be the same spec as his Avonbar ZX as fitted to the Mini 30, way back when !! He tells me that it will happily rev to 6000, and if it pulls all the way, I am going to be very happy !
:D
axshack

Postby axshack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:23 pm

In order to make room for the new fuelling arrangement, I have removed the almost redundant Metro fresh air intake as it takes up a huge amount of space, and replaced it with a coaxial fan designed for boats as a bilge extractor - it moves a lot of air for such a small unit.

2 photos attached showing it - and the interface plate I made up - in position, along with the new fuel pump and pressure regulator. I will be finishing off the fan housing with a covering of glass fibre woven cloth to seal it into the hole and to make it look better.

for some reason the photo is flipped when uploaded....bloody thing :evil:

IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG (402.69 KiB) Viewed 16412 times
axshack

Postby manifold » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Looks nice that. Good job with the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby axshack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:58 pm

manifold wrote:Looks nice that. Good job with the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks...took a bit of faffing about, but got there in the end !
axshack

Next

Return to A series engined projects