fiesta zetec power

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: fiesta zetec power

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

Rich wrote:
b1zbaz wrote:i want to get another but turn it into an absolute beast preferably something that will chew up a few supercars cost would not be an issue as i would do it over a few years rather than hit it tooth and nail i can get a lotus exige engine for very little money as the owner cant be bothered to get rid of it i offered him 500 quid the other day for a laugh and he agreed but im not quite sure it would be quick enough or how difficult to fit but im not scared of the graft just not even thought about anything like this before

As suggested above, for that sort of installation the engine in the back seems to be the logical way to go.

Ps. Make sure this one has headlamp rings........ ;)

I think the engine in the rear is great for a track car, but it would spoil the Midas's practicality. I personally think it would be more work to fit an engine in the rear, when we know it can be done by moving the headlights. I've thought a lot about this and to my mind the answer is, to fit an MG TF sub frame in the front, then you can adapt it to take any engine you want. Just look at Watson's Rally, they have adapted the humble Metro K-series sub frame to take Honda engines! Altering the bodywork on the Midas is a far cheaper proposition, than doing all of that re-engineering. You could put the TF subframe in the rear by manufacturing an elaborate roll cage and attaching the subframe to the cage. But it has all been done before in the Mini world, so why not in a Midas!

What sort of engine goes in the Lotus Exige , is it Rover or Toyota?

Here's how it's done: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=19600

Who's going to be first?

Alan
Last edited by Alan D. on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 am

Interesting fact I picked up there Alan. I had seen this car before but looking at these photos again I never realised they (ie Rover) mucked about with the rear suspension arrangement in the LATE MGTF's. Early ones have a wishbone. Later ones are trailing arms attached directly to the upright. The forward mount looks like it is just bolted to the top of the front of the subframe in the style of the Minis tie rods!

.....That gives some potential easy leeway ideas in using a modified A series subframe, avoiding hacking up the front valance on the Golds........
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:44 pm

manifold wrote:Interesting fact I picked up there Alan. I had seen this car before but looking at these photos again I never realised they (ie Rover) mucked about with the rear suspension arrangement in the LATE MGTF's. Early ones have a wishbone. Later ones are trailing arms attached directly to the upright. The forward mount looks like it is just bolted to the top of the front of the subframe in the style of the Minis tie rods!

.....That gives some potential easy leeway ideas in using a modified A series subframe, avoiding hacking up the front valance on the Golds........

The Mini people cut off the front cross member of the K Sub-frame, then weld another one on much closer to the engine, so they shorten the K subfame! But they don't have inset headlights! As always that's the challenge! The earlier TF subframes are improved Metro subframe. so they can be modified to fit in a Metro and maybe even a Midas one day.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Alan D. wrote:Have a look at this link and you will see the problem, there is a solution, but it involves moving the headlights forward as Hans has already stated.

https://picasaweb.google.com/alandonowh ... directlink

Alan

A few minutes with the saw and it would have been in ;) oh so close
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:25 pm

A111 wrote:
Alan D. wrote:Have a look at this link and you will see the problem, there is a solution, but it involves moving the headlights forward as Hans has already stated.

Alan

Yes Stuart,

That is definatley the answer and this is the way to go!

Alan
Attachments
!BS+rOy!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmYmWCBKGGV3g)!g~~_1[1].jpg
!BS+rOy!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmYmWCBKGGV3g)!g~~_1[1].jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:05 pm

how much work is it to extend the front i like the idea of a fully removable front end like alot of minis have nowadays but not so keen on getting the grinder out till i know where is loadbearing and where is not
b1zbaz

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:12 pm

b1zbaz wrote:how much work is it to extend the front i like the idea of a fully removable front end like alot of minis have nowadays but not so keen on getting the grinder out till i know where is loadbearing and where is not

The Mini and Midas Mk1 & 2's front ends are not load bearing as the front subframe sort of cantilevers from the body, But the Metro and Mk3 Midas is load bearing as the subframe is fixed at all four corners, with load transferring into the wings, but it is possible to do the job in other ways!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Alan D. wrote:
A111 wrote:

Alan

Yes Stuart,

That is definatley the answer and this is the way to go!

Alan

There a member on here "Catgill" with that Midas bonnet set up, done originally by Richard Brabbins. I've PMed "Catgill" for more pictures, but he has never opened his posts. It would be nice to see more detail. I got that picture from E bay.

Alan
Attachments
!BS+rIu!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKGGVZtO!g~~_1[1].jpg
!BS+rIu!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKGGVZtO!g~~_1[1].jpg (19.94 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
BSrGpwBGkKGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BKGGVP2[1].jpg
BSrGpwBGkKGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BKGGVP2[1].jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
Alan D.

Previous

Return to Engine conversions