fiesta zetec power

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

fiesta zetec power

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 pm

hi all i have a 1242cc zetec s engine in my fiesta which pulls my fiesta along very well and was wondering if anybody thinks its possible to put it in a midas im thinking of buying another to play with and have a car here ready to strip for parts any advice would be a huge help
b1zbaz

Re: fiesta zetec power

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 am

If that's a 16V OHC head, probably it won't fit unless you want to chop away those cute MK3 frogey headlights.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 am

...or chop the rear floor out and plonk it in the back! ;)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:36 pm

do you reckon you could get a hayabusa in the back and do you think it would be alot of hassle
b1zbaz

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:12 pm

b1zbaz wrote:do you reckon you could get a hayabusa in the back and do you think it would be alot of hassle

New spaceframe, new wishbones, hubs, coilovers, discs, calipers etc but the fact that there are so many conversion kits for minis now you could probably get one of them and tweek it to fit but it wont be cheap.
wolfie

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 pm

wolfie wrote:
b1zbaz wrote:do you reckon you could get a hayabusa in the back and do you think it would be alot of hassle

New spaceframe, new wishbones, hubs, coilovers, discs, calipers etc but the fact that there are so many conversion kits for minis now you could probably get one of them and tweek it to fit but it wont be cheap.

I did a small calculation with such a concept using the latest generation MR2 as a donor car. The very cheapest I got was 9000 euro. More realistic would be about 12000 euro. That's a lot of money with a questionable outcome while you could buy a GTM Libra for less than half.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Bizbaz,

I've tried a Suzuki Swift GTI, a 1600cc 100bhp single cam Vauxhall engine, a twin 1800 Vauxhall engine in a Mk2 and the same problem occurs every time, the cam cover interferes with the offside headlight and as Hans says without altering the bodywork you cannot get a modern engine in the engine bay. I have a solution for the Mk3 with the extended front and a possible solution for the Mk 1 & 2's.

Another solution for the future is one which Hans first voiced, is the Toyota Yaris, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo or Peugeot 107. They all use a superb 3 cylinder twin cam, five speed box engine, giving out about 65 BHP but also does 65 MPG. Somebody has fitted a Rotrax super charger to it boosting performance to about 139BHP, but stick it into fifth gear and it stills give 65 MPG. Probably more in a Midas.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:15 pm

i want to get another but turn it into an absolute beast preferably something that will chew up a few supercars cost would not be an issue as i would do it over a few years rather than hit it tooth and nail i can get a lotus exige engine for very little money as the owner cant be bothered to get rid of it i offered him 500 quid the other day for a laugh and he agreed but im not quite sure it would be quick enough or how difficult to fit but im not scared of the graft just not even thought about anything like this before
b1zbaz

Postby Alan D. » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Have a look at this link and you will see the problem, there is a solution, but it involves moving the headlights forward as Hans has already stated.

https://picasaweb.google.com/alandonowh ... directlink

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 pm

b1zbaz wrote:i want to get another but turn it into an absolute beast preferably something that will chew up a few supercars cost would not be an issue as i would do it over a few years rather than hit it tooth and nail i can get a lotus exige engine for very little money as the owner cant be bothered to get rid of it i offered him 500 quid the other day for a laugh and he agreed but im not quite sure it would be quick enough or how difficult to fit but im not scared of the graft just not even thought about anything like this before

As suggested above, for that sort of installation the engine in the back seems to be the logical way to go.

Ps. Make sure this one has headlamp rings........ ;)
Rich

Next

Return to Engine conversions