Think different........

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Think different........

Postby ACDodd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Look at fords new 1.0 eco boost 3 cylinder..... 120PS 125lbft from 1500rpm to 4500rpm!!! The smoothness of a petrol the torque of a diesel but much wider power band!!

http://media.ford.com/article_display.c ... e_id=35237

In america they are marketing this range of engines upto 3.5 litres as 'THE REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT'

They also produce a 1.6litre 4 cylinder with 180ps and the same torque characterisics

As I understand they will also be available in crate engine form with a standalone ECU!

This will change petrol power forever.

Now one of these on LPG would be the ultimate!

AC
ACDodd

Re: Think different........

Postby Stuart » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am

It's an interesting concept, and I'm keen to see how it does once it's actually in widespread use.

I DO hope it turns out to deliver what it promises. I have been burned by one of Ford's previous technological innovations, though. I hope it's not going to be another Durashift... :cry:

...just to be specific; will it be reliable in long term use? THAT's what I want proof of.
DavidL

Postby ACDodd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:13 pm

This has to happen if the manufacturers want to keep making cars with internal combustion engines. By 2020 cars will be very different to what we have now, if they are not the manufacturers won't be in business its that simple. This is mainstream stuff I doubt there will any or issues.

AC
ACDodd

Postby manifold » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 pm

I think turbos for small cars/engines has been on the cards for a while.

2010-2020 will probably be the decade of the micro turbo....before someone pulls the petrol plug and we all go hydrogen electric.

Japan saw this some time ago.....

I wonder what happened to the ceramic coated thermoplastic engines they were promising though a while back.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to Engine conversions