Alternative Engines in a Midas

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Alternative Engines in a Midas

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Someone mentioned the Citroen C1 and of course the Peugeot and Toyota clones. This something I've thought about, but I'm told there are lots of sensors and gizmo's that keep the engine running. But just by chance I noticed in next months PPC that they are doing a tuning guide on these neat little engines! the magazine is out on the 27th December.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby kelvink » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 am

Yep I am a bit of a fan of the C1,Aygo,107

You may be interested to look at this for how to get more power from them but not cheap
http://www.c1gti.co.uk/

I've often looked under Yaris as they look very similar in the suspension department and are cheaper to pick up on the second hand market

I do wonder though how durable these small engines might be. My experience with electronics in cars is that they frequently go wrong.
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 am

If you go the path of a modern engine, it is the question what electronics are needed to keep it running. Obviously all sensors on the engine and inlet manifold (air temp), but possibly the ignition key and barrel are needed as well. Alternatively it is possible to use the sensors on the engine and connect it to a standard programmable ECU as Omex, Emerald etc. Than the whole security issue is bypassed and you're flexible by setting up the engine. Drawback is that this adds about a 1000 gbp to the bill.
Hans Efde

Postby miniswift » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:15 am

Hi,

If you choose engine that has been around for a while as a carb version. All of issue is solved.
I'm getting mechanical/vacuum advance version of dizzy for Suzuki G10 engine. This will enable to make engine run as old A/A+series engines were.
Very simple mod of wiring harness to connect to the engine and you have modern engine/gearbox setup. This will give you 5 speed gearbox, 50+mpg and 58Bhp as standard. You can buy those engine for less than £100 off ebay as Suzuki steel is very thin and engine last much longer than body shell!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby manifold » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm

you can replace an engines standard ECU with Megasquirt therefore doing away with the proximity security/headlamp levelling etc crap

One of the resellers of the Megasquirt in the states,

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtpnp-c-40.html?osCsid=1347fe49ea414625186c24c51a54e043

(the one I bought mine off) does a plug and play system for vaious engines for just this reason. Granted this list doesnt show the C1/YARIS but they are no different an engine are they.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Megasquirt Plug and play is just the bog standard Megasquirt boxed up with the right connectors and an appropriate set of maps.

If you get some of the bits from a scrapyard such as the EDIS, Coil (unless you go for the coil on plug option) and VR sensor I reckon you could build a kit for about £350-400.

the Megasquirt ECU kit is $278 plus shipping and VAT.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-programmable-efi-system-pcb30-kit-black-case-p-119.html

I have had zero issues on the spark side with my Megasquirt since I installed it. Fuelling is a piece of cake and well documented.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby miniswift » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm

I guess people are not interested in Suzuki G10 engine then!
Oh well, I just do G10 engine with Alan and see how it perform.
What would people want to see? injection or carb?

G10 does 60mpg in long run in a Swift so it should go very well in,lighter car.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Should be easier than a four cylinder engine.

You'll find this interesting Alan http://www.airtrikes.net/engines.shtml
Stuart

Postby miniswift » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Yes, those engines are used for 2 seater plane world wide also.
Very reliable and cheap as chips!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:13 pm

When Autocar tested the swift with this engine it did 88 mph flat out and 0 to 60 in 17.8 seconds, and the swift is a similar weight to a Midas mk 3. Will that be an improvement on Alan's standard 998 A-series? a little perhaps.
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Engine conversions