Alternative Engines in a Midas

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Alternative Engines in a Midas

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Oh so close Alan, a few seconds with a saw and it would have been in ;)
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:47 am

So Alan, that's the story with the Mark 2/Bronze; could you say whether there's more room in the right place to fit either of those engines straight into the Gold/Mark 3?
DavidL

Postby Alan D. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 am

David L wrote:So Alan, that's the story with the Mark 2/Bronze; could you say whether there's more room in the right place to fit either of those engines straight into the Gold/Mark 3?

Hi David,
I've not tried, but I don't think so! If you line up a Mk2 & 3 together bumper to bumper, it's a long time since I did it. But the windscreen to headlights distance is about the same. The Mk 3 is obviously wider and Stuart thinks that maybe a single cam will tuck in behind the offside headlight. But even if you could, you would not be able to get the cam cover off, you would have to drop the engine and subframe. This theory is borne out on Stan's Mk 3, as he managed to get a single cam K-series in, but moved the headlight forward and disguised it with bigger eyebrow covers. My own Mk 3 with the twin cam K-series in has the cam cover tucked under the headlight, even though it has an extended front. I even made a jig to start converting the A-series Metro front subframe, but never took it any further
If you look underneath the subframe on the second picture, you can see I even made a Metro width engine cradle! Look how short the front to back distance is on the end view.

Here is a side view of a Mk3 with an MG TF subframe placed in. This will give you an idea how much space a modern engine needs, but saying that you can get a K-series in a standard length front Mini!

As you can see I've tried, but the body beats me every time, I'm not confident at the moment to try altering the bodywork! But I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon!!!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:05 am

Hmm...

Is the MG TF subframe any longer from front to rear than a K series Metro subframe? (I'm expecting the answer "not significantly" but there's always hope)
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:47 pm

David L wrote:Hmm...

Is the MG TF subframe any longer from front to rear than a K series Metro subframe? (I'm expecting the answer "not significantly" but there's always hope)

They're the same, really it is only the towers that differ.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:15 pm

but saying that you can get a K-series in a standard length front Mini!

Just to clarify this statement; Allspeed make a Mini based subframe to fit a Rover K-Series in a standard round nose Mini. A Rover metro subframe is both longer and wider, but can be made to fit with extended wheel arches etc....
But on saying that, I have seen a metro subframe made both narrower and shorter and still be able to get a twin cam engine in a Mini!

http://www.allspeedengineering.com/index.php/rover

This is a Vauxhall 1800cc twin cam engine, which should fit in the Midas with the headlamp moved. I think a Midas should go quite well with one of these engines fitted. It's a small block Vauxhall engine as opposed to the Red Top which is a large block Vauxhall engine.

I personally favour the K-series or the Suzuki GTI engine as they are Alloy blocks and therefore lighter, so the car should handle better!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Z Cars Mini front subframe

My Mini subframe jig, not quite in the same league! But I only have a domestic garage, not a full engineering workshop!

But I have now acquired tube bending and notching equipment.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Now you just need a welder Alan. How's your welding these days? I'm starting a Tig course shortly. I can stick weld now too :)
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Stuart wrote:Now you just need a welder Alan. How's your welding these days? I'm starting a Tig course shortly. I can stick weld now too :)

I'm doing quite well with the welding, but TIG is a very slow process!

I did a six week course with Alberto, at a local collage, but to be honest, I leaned more from: http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

He sends out a weekly video, which are very good!

Glad to hear you are being constructive again.

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:22 pm

I'll check out the link, I do remember watching a couple of his videos a while ago. As you'll know from your course, practise makes perfect. I'm sure I'll end up having a go at mig too, I really enjoyed my first course at a local college.
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Engine conversions