Alternative Engines in a Midas

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Postby kelvink » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Well since it's been suggested that a new thread be started to discuss alternate engines and how to fit them in a Midas I thought I'd start one here. Particularly as I'm also thinking of fitting an alternate engine. I've got a plan in mind as to how to do it though I'm not currently fixed on which engine to go for (got several in mind) I've been busy setting up a new workshop I've aquired over the past few weeks but hope to make a proper start in the next week or two putting the ideas into practice.

So let's hear what people think....
kelvink

Re: Alternative Engines in a Midas

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I believe a Toyota Yaris engine (single cam) fits, but I don't dear to invest time and a lot of money. Concerning the Bronze in Tobago someone drives around with a Nissan engine installed (with airco!). He didn't need to change the headlights, it's a straight swap. Pics are on the old forum.
Hans Efde

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 pm

The new ford 3 pot engine is good but probably expensive my mate has got a 1 litre focus with one and it pulls really well considering the size of the car but I have not seen him in weeks as I want to take some measurements ins Midas it would be more than adequate
b1zbaz

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Hans Efde wrote:I believe a Toyota Yaris engine (single cam) fits, but I don't dear to invest time and a lot of money. Concerning the Bronze in Tobago someone drives around with a Nissan engine installed (with airco!). He didn't need to change the headlights, it's a straight swap. Pics are on the old forum.

I'd like to know a bit more about this Nissan engine transplant, but can't find the "old forum" you mention, can you provide a link please?

And is it just an engine transplant, or does the Nissan gearbox (which I'd assume has at least 5 forward gears) fit in as well?
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

David L wrote:
Hans Efde wrote:I believe a Toyota Yaris engine (single cam) fits, but I don't dear to invest time and a lot of money. Concerning the Bronze in Tobago someone drives around with a Nissan engine installed (with airco!). He didn't need to change the headlights, it's a straight swap. Pics are on the old forum.

I'd like to know a bit more about this Nissan engine transplant, but can't find the "old forum" you mention, can you provide a link please?

And is it just an engine transplant, or does the Nissan gearbox (which I'd assume has at least 5 forward gears) fit in as well?

I don't know anything about the gearbox. I lost contact with this person. Pics also on my Photobucket (since you have to sign up to see the old Yahoo forum):
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 pm

It's the MA engine, early Micra's also had a 4-speed box, not very powerful in the grand scheme of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_MA_engine

Although the turbo and supercharged one was a lot better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_MA_MA09ERT
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 am

Stuart wrote:It's the MA engine, early Micra's also had a 4-speed box, not very powerful in the grand scheme of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_MA_engine

Although the turbo and supercharged one was a lot better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_MA_MA09ERT

Thanks Stuart, food for thought.

However it's more like a Tesco Value sandwich than the M&S ready meal I was hoping for!
DavidL

Postby kelvink » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:09 am

It's not easy is it to decide which engine to go for, which goes to show what a good engine the A series was in the first place.

All the above plus the likes of the K Series of course and also the Zetec and VWs I've pondered on and then there's Honda and Suzuki too. The 3 cylinder engines nowadays are impressive and I have to say I'm always well impressed with my Mum's C1 when I get to drive that I really do love it. But you see the A series has set such a good benchmark what do you go for? No one's mentioned any FIAT engines, the fire was quite an impressive unit too.

My personal leanings are towards the Ford, VW and Toyota along with perhaps the Nissan mainly due to availability perceptions of reliability and generally feeling I should be able to get parts easily. So then it's the Power versus economy to think about.

Decisions decisions....
kelvink

Postby lankyjames » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Always good to see this kinda thread pop-up and while discussed to death, there are always new options and thoughts on the matter.

I think Out of the box solutions, the R1 solution would easily fit, provide great power and of course sound awesome. Downsides being the frame etc alone costs £3.5k before you even have an engine. Add that it would only have an electric reverse if any - but then you do get 6 forward gears and a very fun pullup / pushdown gear change!

This is a friends installation;
Looks perfectly sized in a mini engine bay, still 1000cc too.

Most other solutions will require headlight modification, Scholar Racing have a nice K series install in a Mk3 and utilising Porsche 928 pop up lights;

Which...works, but isn't very attractive. Personally I'd just push the lights forward, change the headlights to something half-height and bring the bonnet down to match ( I will do a photoshop later to explain a bit better!)

I've stated before I'd quite like to do a Honda conversion, mostly because the cars are quite readily available - as is parts and they provide good power for size / CC.
The favourite among the mini 16valvers are the B series engines 1.6/1.8L ~150bhp, these are a bit big in the OHV department[/url] and would need headlights moving, bonnet bulging and headlight modifications to fit.

I believe a D series engine, while a bit rarer would be a better fit, 1.5L provides 90-100bhp, unfortuantely EU never got the 128bhp 1.6L VTEC model. There are the 1.6L models that put out 100-130bhp and are found not only in Hondas but some old Rover GSI's (216/416).

Well that's my food for thought!

These are a lot less bulky to the rocker cover, see the right hand side (passenger side) in these photos, compared to the B engine above they don't even reach the minis inner-arches, which would possibly mean that the lights may not need to be modified;
lankyjames

Postby miniswift » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Hello :roll: !

What can I say about this subject here..... :ugeek: ?
I'm building a Mini with Suzuki Swift Gti G13B engine and building/preparing G13B turbo RWD mk1 Midas myself.

May be turbo?

I have a Suzuki G10 engine which is 993cc with 5 speed gearbox. I know Honda D16 is good engine. I know K-series are good also.
Alan, me and Andy are making different set up as we speak so... may be watch this space!

We are planning Honda, Suzuki and Rover engines so far but what does people want?
Do we wants excellent MPG(like 60MPG) or BHP(150+)? All of them will come with 5 speed gearboxes so economy will be better then A/A+ engine ever did.

You can have both economy and power by going G10 but with turbo. I know people in US uses this engine in Swift/firefly and getting 150BHP but with near 40MPG.
I think I shall ask old Alan to build one and evaluate!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Next

Return to Engine conversions