Alternative Engines in a Midas

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Alternative Engines in a Midas

Postby Alan D. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Stuart wrote:Should be easier than a four cylinder engine.

You'll find this interesting Alan http://www.airtrikes.net/engines.shtml

Thanks for that Stuart, I did enjoy this article. I do miss the flying. I used to own an Australian microlight called a "Thruster" . Which was difficult to land, I know as I crashed it twice on landing and on another landing, a wheel fell off! But I mastered it eventually. This craft had a Rotax 503 two stroke engine and I know that it suffered three engine failures during the time I new the aircraft. It's a bit disconcerting when the fan stops and you are at 2000 feet.

http://www.holbrookultralightclub.asn.a ... ter_10.jpg

I had one just like this, but a different colour. Mine was also a two seater and I think this one is a single seater, I've had a few adventures in this craft!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Stuart wrote:When Autocar tested the swift with this engine it did 88 mph flat out and 0 to 60 in 17.8 seconds, and the swift is a similar weight to a Midas mk 3. Will that be an improvement on Alan's standard 998 A-series? a little perhaps.

I think that the pedigree of this engine lies with the Dhatsui Charade GTI and that produced about 100 BHP, which I think should be enough for a road going Midas, Aitchi tells me that the easily make 180 BHP. But we are just sounding off at the moment so who know were it will lead, But I do have a modern fuel injected engine in stock, complete with wiring loom and ECU. So we will have to wait and see. But the big problem for me is my welder is still broken!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby stan1396 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi Aitchi,I can verify that the suzuki G10 engine is cheap as chips,I put one in my spyder before I sold it and it only cost me £2.50 for the engine,distributor,inlet manifold and mounts.It cost me more for the exhaust to go with it! £12 for the lot and I bought a gearbox from e bay at the same time for £10 cos it had a stripped sump plug,easily fixed as my neighbour had the tap for it.They are so reliable NO ONE NEEDS THEM! I would reccomend one anytime over an A series,or my old spitfire engine.I made a list of good points and bad points before I decided to do the transplant-top of the list-the suzuki will not leak oil,you can also get a 5 speed box to go with it very cheaply.The twin cam is even better but I could not get it to fit as easily as the single cam-I could have done it,just not as quickly.[I hope I am right in saying the G10 is the single cam] thanks,Stan.
stan1396

Postby miniswift » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Stan,

G10 are either 3 pot(A) or 4 pot(B).
G10B is twin cam 16v 3 pot is 6v.

I know with exhaust mod and bit others, it will do over 70bhp with turbo.... 100bhp easy.
There are many of mods you can do but they are in US/Canada. But I have many contact over there are they are willing to help me!

In Oz, they are using this engine for plane and making over 170bhp with special fuel!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby kelvink » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 pm

This thread is getting really good. I'm liking all these alternatives. No one's mentioned Vauxhall so far. The Suzuki is sounding more and more interesting but are the figures correct? Surely there's some decimal points in the wrong places here?????

By the way Alan I'm also a pilot though I tend to fly mostly without an engine as I fly hang gliders and paragliders Here's me flying one of mine.
kelvink

Postby Stuart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 pm

kelvink wrote:Surely there's some decimal points in the wrong places here?????

Stan knows how to bag a bargain for sure.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 pm

kelvink wrote:This thread is getting really good. I'm liking all these alternatives. No one's mentioned Vauxhall so far. The Suzuki is sounding more and more interesting but are the figures correct? Surely there's some decimal points in the wrong places here?????

By the way Alan I'm also a pilot though I tend to fly mostly without an engine as I fly hang gliders and paragliders Here's me flying one of mine.

Hi again Kellink,
I flew flexwing and two types of fixed wing microlights, I also had about 30 hours in Piper Warriors, which were boring compared to microlights. But I last flew in 1997 as took on a new business and ended up working about 70 hours a week, I sold it after five years, they were the worst five years of my life! Alas I lost touch with the flying during that time. One day maybe!

By the way Vauxhall is coming next! Stuart and I dabbled in a bit of Vauxhall and it could still happen in a Midas.

Stan's pricing is correct, but he bought the 1300cc for cylinder engines and boxes from the Suzuki jeep thingy! Which are basically rear wheel drive.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby kelvink » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:40 am

I know how you mean re the Piper. I started off flying in the ATC in a Chipmunk at 13 then tried a Sedburgh and have worked my way down to the epitome of less is more. Hang gliders are the best, though these days I'm getting old and I have to confess I'm thinking more and more on weight shift microlights. I used to think engines were cheating but as I've not flown in ages I am giving in to perhaps they are not so bad really.

Back down to Earth.... These Suzukis are really getting my interest now. I likes cheap :)
kelvink

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 pm

kelvink wrote:I know how you mean re the Piper. I started off flying in the ATC in a Chipmunk at 13 then tried a Sedburgh and have worked my way down to the epitome of less is more. Hang gliders are the best, though these days I'm getting old and I have to confess I'm thinking more and more on weight shift microlights. I used to think engines were cheating but as I've not flown in ages I am giving in to perhaps they are not so bad really.

Back down to Earth.... These Suzukis are really getting my interest now. I likes cheap :)

I agree about the Warrior being boring.

However, I spent the summer of 1984 flying a Piper PA18-150 (launching gliders), which was much more entertaining. Especially when the aim is a fast turn around, which means a slowish haul to 2000', followed by a much quicker stand-it-on-its-wingtip-and-haul-the-stick-into-your-stomach descent... :D

I got reasonably good at 3 point landings too. However, I won't mention the time I came in too low over the power lines and blacked out the neighbouring village. :shock:
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 pm

A good book for helping with understanding EFI so I'm told.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Performance-Fue ... 498&sr=1-1
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Engine conversions