Alternative Engines in a Midas

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Alternative Engines in a Midas

Postby Alan D. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 am

The G10 is a possibility without body modifications, but alternative differential would need to be sourced as the gearing would be too low on 13" or 12" wheels. Alternately go for a larger wheel size with possible body mods..

I've measured the G10 engine and the lack of one pot and being a single cam head, there is a chance that it may miss the offside headlight. There are other challenges in that the cam cover ends up under the bodywork, so you need to drop the subframe to get the cam cover off! The answer on the Mk1's and is a flip front.

The moulds for this modification are in Ireland I think. I don't have the fibreglass skills to attempt this at the moment, But somebody else may have, then I can continue designing subframes. Aitchi has found some rather excellent twin head lights that would fit the bonnet quite nicely

Headlight link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270802585102? ... 1423.l2649

Alan
Alan D.

Postby kelvink » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 am

Lots of variety in engines It seems everyone else can't make their minds up on which is the one to go for either. The Eco Boost does sound very tempting but it's so new and expensive. Would they last as well as the A series has proven to.

Being a bit of a Luddite I do prefer the good old tradition of mechanicals rather than electronics and computers driving my engines too but this day and age sadly we have to accept an ECU in the engine bay.
kelvink

Postby lankyjames » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 am

kelvink wrote:Lots of variety in engines It seems everyone else can't make their minds up on which is the one to go for either. The Eco Boost does sound very tempting but it's so new and expensive. Would they last as well as the A series has proven to.

Being a bit of a Luddite I do prefer the good old tradition of mechanicals rather than electronics and computers driving my engines too but this day and age sadly we have to accept an ECU in the engine bay.

Forgot to give my points on the Ford Ecoboost, good engine 120bhp from a 1L 3 pot turbo? Not bad, perfectly suited to a Midas. Has been fitted in a caterham so my initial worry of its height has been alleviated. Ford were trying to sell the ecoboost in the caterham idea, but at £4.5k for a crate engine....I don't think there will be many takers!

I'm also the same with my engines, preferring the mechanical over the electronic due to ease of fixing, but for daily driving, power and management I can accept an ECU.
lankyjames

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 am

lankyjames wrote: Has been fitted in a caterham so my initial worry of its height has been alleviated.

Are you sure about that, did you see the bulge needed to cover it?

Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 am

Well that is certainly a busy engine bay, but I would hardly call that a bulge, more a step up!

Either way that's probably not even as tall as a midas engine bay?

edit; plus that car has some stupid skinny wheels on it. I assume for MPG figures?
lankyjames

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am

The wheels and tyres are standard fair for lower powered Caterhams, Caterham understand the concept of balance and know you can over-tyre a car.
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 am

Stuart wrote:The wheels and tyres are standard fair for lower powered Caterhams, Caterham understand the concept of balance and know you can over-tyre a car.

That almost sounds like a jib at me wanting bigger wheels for the Midas Stu ;)

It's just a shame the arches aren't full at the rear, I wonder if it would look nicer with appropriate arches....
lankyjames

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:53 am

Sorry James :oops: I always wanted wide wheels and loads of grip, but always found myself enjoying driving the car in the winter with steel wheels and not so grippy (in the dry) winter tyres. Noise levels, steering effort, poor ride,adjustability all took a turn for the worst come summer time when I put my big heavy 13" wheels back on. I think the only advantage was peak cornering speed.
Stuart

Postby miniswift » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi,

Old Suzuki G10 engine run on a single carb with a mechanical dizzy.
It will work as old school cars, they also ran on 12" wheel as well. They are good engine, I know they do over 200k miles in US.
I have a engine which has done 35k miles and it has no wear on it and got it for £150 with a gearbox, ECU, wiring harness..... everything!
If you get Renault 5 turbo carb or MG Metro Turbo then we can have 100+ from these engines, too.

Suzuki did G10t which came with MPi but modern engine has no holes for injectors. All it needs to change from NA to turbo spec is to fit Gti con rods which Gti community get rod of for their high power turbo applications to forged items. If you really want to go wild, you can over bore by 1mm to fit Vitara pistons with Gti con rods. This setup will be capable of making 180+ from 1040cc engine and still return 38MPG!

I like Honda engines, too but they are still expensive compares to Suzuki. K-series are good too, but they are getting less now due to no longer made and Rover cars are going to death with rust!

I think Honda, Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 3 pot engine, Suzuki will be the best choice.
You can buy some of them very cheaply and some of them are just over 10 years old!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby lankyjames » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Stuart wrote:Sorry James :oops: I always wanted wide wheels and loads of grip, but always found myself enjoying driving the car in the winter with steel wheels and not so grippy (in the dry) winter tyres. Noise levels, steering effort, poor ride,adjustability all took a turn for the worst come summer time when I put my big heavy 13" wheels back on. I think the only advantage was peak cornering speed.

Quite alright Stu, I understand what you mean though, my old mini had always had 13x7's since I bought it and was a lot of fun in the corners, a pig to park but current mini is more fun with the lesser sized wheels at slower speeds.
lankyjames

PreviousNext

Return to Engine conversions