honda engine

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

honda engine

Postby stan1396 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Looking at engines on e bay the other day it occurred to me that a Honda ST1100 bike engine would fit a midas very well.For those who arent familiar with the model, V4, 1100cc [or1300 for later model] 104bhp and 84ft/lb, shaft drive,so would have to be rear wheel drive [good or bad?] The big problem with them as a bike is the swinging arm rots,and is very expensive to replace,so these bikes are fairly cheap at approx £600 upwards,and you can sell off all the unwanted stuff to bring the price down! The other point is that the pan euro is HEAVY,so the clutch will be less stressed than something like a busa. A midas may even be lighter!Any thoughts anyone? is anybody up to the challenge? Stan the Man.
stan1396

Re: honda engine

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi stan where are you located I will have to have a look at that as I am interested in doing a conversion with my mate he is a in the last year of uni doing an engineering course so we are gone do a joint purchase/conversion
b1zbaz

Postby stan1396 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 pm

I am located at morpeth, north of newcastle.stan.
stan1396

Postby lankyjames » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

My father had also given me the idea of a shaft drive motorbike powered lump, as you say light revvy, shaft driven so conversion to rwd bonus and quieter than a chain driven busa or R1 kit.
lankyjames

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 pm

You can get an engine for around 200 quid there is also a st130o option
b1zbaz

Postby Stuart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 am

quite a lump, but then it is engine and gearbox, I wonder what ratio diff would be needed, and would it stand canting over to centralise the prop output, or need fitting off-set to the nearside.
A 5-speed sequential dog-box as standard, a bit like a rally car, just need an electric motor for reversing or one of those expensive transfer boxes that will also give you 5 reverse gears too!

The lightest Midas with this engine (mk1 or2) is still going to be twice the weight of the original bike.

Reverse box http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qbe35g
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 am

A Honda VFR is chain drive (well, I can't remember about the current 1200VFR, but the early 750 and 800 ones are, and the later 800s are VTEC. The 750s have a reputation for super reliability, I expect the 800s do too, so the only things that breakers can sell are cycle parts (and voltage regulators).

So, it's a bit small but you've got about 100BHP (torque? dunno) and in theory, breakers should be giving them away (if only)...
DavidL

Postby stan1396 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:32 pm

I had not thought of the output shaft problem as Stuart has pointed out,but I would think a two part drive shaft with 3 UJ's would sort that out-motor in centre,first short shaft to tunnel,long shaft to rear.I dont think I would consider the VFR engines,too small-and the VTEC 800 is flawed for a bike as the power can come in with a bang,which is not a good idea when cranked over!.That wouldnt be a problem in a car, but remember the saying 'there is no substitute for cubes'. Another possible would be a Gold Wing engine-flat four,or flat 6 if your wallet stretched that far.Still shaft drive as well.
I seem to remember reading that bike engined kit cars had to have some sort of proper reverse gear now to get through regs,maybe somone could enlighten me?
My main reason for suggesting these engines is that they will fit comfortably under the bonnet of a midas.Just thought of another one-2.3 litre Triumph rocket 3. Three cylinder in-line,shaft drive ,but fairly recent and probably a bit expensive.However,I think I am right in saying it is the fastest accelerating bike up to 60.I just dont think I would like to pay the road tax on a 2.3! food for thought,Stan.
stan1396

Postby Stuart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:40 pm

stan1396 wrote:I seem to remember reading that bike engined kit cars had to have some sort of proper reverse gear now to get through regs,maybe somone could enlighten me?

Correct, ability to reverse is part of the IVA test now, I believe it is quite relaxed, just a few yards on level ground.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:45 pm

There is a 6 cylinder BMW engine that might fit under the Midas's bonnet - won't be many around secondhand yet though!

I'm thinking of the K1600GT bike engine. 160HP and 174Nm of torque (no reverse gear of course). Just a shame it's over 1400cc, so wouldn't qualify for the lower road tax.

The previous "big" BMW tourer, the K1200LT, had reverse. After moving a lever on the side of the gearbox, you moved backwards by cranking the starter motor.

[edit] Only 116HP, unfortunately... :)

Both of these were shaft drive, of course.
DavidL

Next

Return to Engine conversions