Smart Midas??

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Smart Midas??

Postby johnmacb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am

Hi
Anybody thought/started a smart car / Midas combination yet?
The thought of frugality allied to comparable performance appeals!

Thoughts anyone?

JMac
johnmacb

Re: Smart Midas??

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:22 am

There will be a lot of work putting an engine in the back, and the general consensus on the Smart was that it was hampered by the auto gearbox, although there were some who said it wasn't an issue.

Better to keep the engine in the front on a Midas.

Somewhere on Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1318512 there is a thread containing a kit car using the Smart as a base.
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 am

The Smart on paper should make a great little donor and in my opinion the Smart Roadster is what a newer Midas should have been. unfortunately though the Smart is a bit of a nightmare as it's pretty much all fly by wire and every year or so Smart would modify the control systems such that no two are alike. Yes it crossed my mind a few times to look at using it in a Midas but I was put off by all the difficulties others had had. Still sorely tempted to get a Roadster all the same as It's just such a sweet car.
kelvink

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 am

How's the mk 2 coming on Kelvin? have you managed to keep motivated in this cold weather.
Stuart

Postby johnmacb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Well I'm picking up a Smart CDI next week to use for a bit and maybe convert into a Midas if I can get one - don't seem to be too many (any!!) for sale at the moment :-(
johnmacb

Return to Engine conversions