Ford 3 cylinder engines

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Ford 3 cylinder engines

Postby wolfie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Its just been announced that Ford are going to be selling their 3 cylinder engines as crate engines here in the UK so I want to see the prices. I've seen a guy turbocharge one and got 200bhp from it
wolfie

Re: Ford 3 cylinder engines

Postby ilmung » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi
is there more news about this engine 3 cilindre ,
regards
geert
ilmung

Postby benofbrum » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 am

Someone on the Quantum forum is putting one in 2+2 convertible
benofbrum

Postby ilmung » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi
quantum forum n$, where can I find this ?
geert
ilmung

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:20 pm

ilmung wrote:Hi
quantum forum n$, where can I find this ?
geert

Here http://quantumforum.proboards.com/threa ... conversion
Stuart

Postby Lukith » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:28 pm

I really enjoyed reading this Quantum build so far. But just looking at it, it looks to me like the 1.0T would just be too much to shoehorn into a Midas. Any thoughts?
Lukith

Postby l_jonez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:37 pm

The ecoboost engines are pretty tall so I'd imagine if they did fit in the other dimensions then a pretty large power buldge would be needed.

A guy over on turbo minis put one in his clubman
l_jonez

Postby kelvink » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm

I've looked at these a few times, usually at various shows where they are mounted on an engine stand and are pretty bare. They strike me as being surprisingly large and nowadays the ancillaries occupy almost as much room as the engine does too!

Not at all sure how, or indeed if, they would fit in the engine bay of a Midas though the Mk4 might manage one if they can be tilted. They look pretty tall to me.

Something to note is the timing chain/belt.... It's internal and it's a belt ! Don't fancy the likelihood of that lasting too long
kelvink

Postby ACourtney » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Come on Kelvin I know that you're holding back the punchline.

When we saw the engine on the Ford stand at Autosport two years ago we asked the Ford man how you changed the timing belt and he said "you don't need to, it will last the life of the engine" and when we asked him what that was he said "100k"

Ignoring the short life span and the timing chain access issue, the biggest packaging problem with this engine is the height and that is entirely due to the depth of the sump. That is nothing new with Ford engines, the old Ford Kent and Pinto engines all came with similarly deep, stepped, sump pans, but those sump pans were pressed steel so they were easy to cut and shut to improve the ground clearance. The sump pan on the 3 cylinder Ecoboost is an aluminium casting, which also forms part of the engine structure. It could be cut and shut, but you need to find a welder who knows what he is doing.

Powertorque, the Ford industrial engine distributor, rate the 1.6 4 cyl Ecoboost more highly. It weighs and costs more, or less, the same as the 3 cylinder as it is a simpler package, but puts out 210 BHP in standard crate form.
ACourtney

Postby Lukith » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Dare I say it... It's almost a shame they based the Midas on Mini technology. I've personally never really been a fan of the A series engine and there doesn't seem to be much else you can put/ fit in these lovely little cars!
Lukith

Next

Return to Engine conversions