Micra engine

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Micra engine

Postby miniswift » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi,

Here is Dave's effort to fit a Micra engine into his spare classic Mini. This subframe will be made into Mini for now but eventually, fit into mk1/2 Midas.

A CDS bent tube is used to wrap around gearbox and the same method will be used on the driver side as well.

The oil sump still has 3" clearance even with only 1" gap with wheel arch and 12" wheels.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Re: Micra engine

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:31 pm

I like the subframe design, although I think the engine needs to be higher so the pot joint is only just clearing the bottom of the tower.
Stuart

Postby l_jonez » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Stuart wrote:I like the subframe design, although I think the engine needs to be higher so the pot joint is only just clearing the bottom of the tower.

I agree with this
l_jonez

Postby miniswift » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi,

No can do, I'm afraid.
The rear engine mount and diff casing will be touching subframe as well as front heel board.
The way this engine is mounted will allow us to mount Micra engine even into a Mini Marcos.

You will have 55mpg with 5 speed gearbox and 50 mpg. I think everyone is a winner!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:23 am

Different angles, but quite a difference compared to Lawson's

Also how easy is it to get the rubber suspension cone in?
Stuart

Postby l_jonez » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:51 am

As Stuart says mine is much higher, iirc I even enlarged the hole in the tower upwards to get the engine higher. The gear selector is almost touching the bottom of the rear of the frame.

Got a feeling when I get around to making a start on the frame for the Midas the engine position and angle will be fairly different to the mini version
l_jonez

Postby miniswift » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:30 am

Like I said it is for Marcos as well.
At lowest level of safe lowered height, it has 3.5" below sump. So this is the reason this engine is this height.

I think Dave will turbo charge it in his mk1 Midas. I might even buy another so that I can ask Dave to make me a turbo Midas...... then again i still have RWD setup spares with G13B.
miniswift

Return to Engine conversions