Any ideas on engine conversion?

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Any ideas on engine conversion?

Postby wolfie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Ok, I've decided I'm definately going to bin the good old 'A' series in favour of something newer. I'd prefer something which will fit without hacking out the headlights. I've been thinking about the suzuki swift gti engine but thought I'd pick everyone elses brains for ideas. You never know, if you give me the best idea I could use my car as the guinea pig to find out if it's a feasible option for all Midas owners who want to upgrade like me!
wolfie

Re: Any ideas on engine conversion?

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:38 pm

On the Yahoo forum you'll find pics of a Bronze with a Nissan engine without body mods, so I suppose that fits in a Gold as well.
My friend Ed Darwinkel (you'll find him in the members list) has taken measurements from a Toyota Yaris 1.3 engine at a dealer and he thinks that fits without body mods.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:19 am

If I had to do my conversion again it would have to be an FWD R1.

Promotive mini kit looks great.

All depends on whether you want a tourer or a little thrashing machine.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby rocketron » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 pm

While I have a passion for engine conversions, drastic or otherwise, I had the pleasure lately of driving a 1275GT mini with a Bill Richards 1293 in it. It had been recently fitted with bike carbs on a Bogg Bros manifold and belt driven cam. All other items were as Bill originally fitted. There was good silencing on exhaust and induction, no straight-cuts etc and overall very quiet: it was a very nice car.

It surprised me that it pulled so strongly from about 1800rpm to over 7200: I'd forgotten how good an A-series could be. So I'm now thinking perhaps a well-built A-series need not be sniffed at! My favourite build for power was a 1430 using Triumph 2.5pi pistons. It was close to being a "grenade": there was only 47thou between bores no2 and 3. Head gaskets did not last very long and A-series block material is soft compared to Ford or Vauxhall, so bore longevity is suspect, in my opinion.

A fellow petrolhead has a Suzuki 1300 twin cam in a mini. This is a 16valve motor and goes really well above 4000, but for sure the Bill Richards engine left it for dead up to about 4700. But this conversion was not expensive, just dropped it in, cut out whatever is in the way and then join the bits up. The different driveshafts were welded together and then sleeved and welded again. Twelve months on and 15000 miles and no failures of any kind.

So, the prob is which one? I'd go for a modern engine, they're all very good nowadays, though I still fancy building another A-series, but this time with liners, doolally compression, RAF cams... Oh God, here I go again!

Seriously, whatever engine you fancy, do it and enjoy your Midas: you don't see many of 'em.

Best regards, Ron
rocketron

Postby Stuart » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:19 pm

This Micra engine looks rather at home in a mini

Stuart

Postby manifold » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 pm

thats the big chief one on TMF isnt it?

I saw it last week.

It fits rather well.

The orange brake mechanism is quite a piece of work!

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=98753&st=0

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 pm

and some more on the micra transplant........
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=57644&hl=

manifold

Postby rocketron » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:45 pm

This micra conversion looks OK, I'd forgotten about this engine. I'm involved with the Formula 1000cc rally series: any car as long as it's 1litre. Most drivers go for the 16v Micra and they go very well once wound up. There's a clip on you-tube where a turbo Impressa gets passed by a Micra: quite funny! At a tarmac event at Three Sisters some time back, there were Evos, Impressas and all sorts of exotica. At lunch break, position 22 was held by a guest driver in a bog standard Micra! He complained that every time he left-foot braked the "bloody thing" stopped. It was suggested he stopped that and just tweak the handbrake to upset the car. So, this he did and finished in 15th place, beating about 11 four wheel drive cars!

Suzuki still looks: 105-115bhp, 5-speed, fuel injected and bombproof to boot.

Has anyone any knowledge whether a 1600 Nissan unit would fit?
Regards Ron
rocketron

Postby wolfie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I've been using google for ideas and the problem I think I will come across the most is squeezing the head underneath behind the headlight. I've just started wondering whether a low pressure turboed 1.4 K series 8 valve would work. I know it would fit but wondering whether it may grenade with a turbo on it. Also been looking at the good old pug 205 gti engine (the 1.9). The polo g40 supercharged seemed like a good idea till I was told I'll never find one. Keep the ideas coming
wolfie

Postby Will » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 am

just an idea: the 'Douvrin' X-engine as mounted in the Renault 14, Peugeot 104, Citroen BX, Citroen Visa

specs: full aluminium, ohc, 1360 cc, gearbox in the sump, tilted back, 150 bhp in rallye trim

douvrin-X.jpg
douvrin-X.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 12315 times
Will

Next

Return to Engine conversions