Any ideas on engine conversion?

If you're changing the engine in your Midas for something different we want to read about it. Every possible conversion and more can be found in here...

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Any ideas on engine conversion?

Postby wolfie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 pm

After scribbling down dimensions and power figures then doodling in scale I've made a decision and it's one you may question....I'm going to shoehorn a 1.8 K series into it. My cousin is an engineer at Pro Drive and used to be a design engineer for the Jag Formula 1 team (not sure he should brag about that 1) and he reckons we can get it in without chopping the body shell apart. In time we shall find out. Also designed my own dash with a TVR feel to it so that will be built into it as well! Only thing I'm a bit worried about is whether the shell with cope with the power...should be a laugh finding out
wolfie

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 am

Please be aware you need to sort out the cooling issue with this engine. The lime Cortez from Alistair and a silver Gold coupe I know both have the 1.8K series engine and have overheating problems due to the (probable)standard Metro radiator which is too small.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Postby wolfie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Dont worry Hans, I'll be getting a nice big, shiny ally rad made up to keep underbonnet temperature under control
wolfie

Postby justin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:14 pm

I have been looking at The venerable vtec conversion for my MK2 this has to be the way forward, 200+ bhp from a near standard engine, yes i know the lights will have to go but i never really liked the allegro lights anyway. The question has to be what do you want, i have spent 3 years collecting the right parts to build a supercharged a series to replace my current 1340 lump but the reality is that even 150bhp is not that reliable and there are issues with the setup as i have posted on the forced induction forum. With the vtec option you can buy off the shelf subframe and dump in your b16a2 lump and off you go, looking at the room i have i am convinced that i can even fit a turbo conversion that will easily take it up to 300+ bhp though i think anything more than 250 is pointless in fwd format. I havent yet got too far but i am doing this with a load of 14 year old kids at my school so funds allowing i have set a two year target.......watch this space.
justin

Postby M.Ouvinen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:51 pm

The Douvrin is a pain in the arse to work on, at least when it's tilted. Pretty much everything is below the engine or deep down the side except the oil filter...
I don't think it would fit in the Midas, tilted like it is.

I used to have a Visa, amazingly comfortable little car. I would love to have a good Visa someday.
M.Ouvinen

Postby Alan D. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi Justin,

I've sent you a PM.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:08 pm

justin wrote:I have been looking at The venerable vtec conversion for my MK2 this has to be the way forward, 200+ bhp from a near standard engine, yes i know the lights will have to go but i never really liked the allegro lights anyway. The question has to be what do you want, i have spent 3 years collecting the right parts to build a supercharged a series to replace my current 1340 lump but the reality is that even 150bhp is not that reliable and there are issues with the setup as i have posted on the forced induction forum. With the vtec option you can buy off the shelf subframe and dump in your b16a2 lump and off you go, looking at the room i have i am convinced that i can even fit a turbo conversion that will easily take it up to 300+ bhp though i think anything more than 250 is pointless in fwd format. I havent yet got too far but i am doing this with a load of 14 year old kids at my school so funds allowing i have set a two year target.......watch this space.

a bit of progress

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=19875
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Wow interesting stuff. Too bad I can't see the pics. 200bhp in a Bronze is pretty amazing. I haven't worked out how much power is lost in the drive train, or how much power is lost in the friction of the tyres, but f.e. put these on 10%. When the Cd is around 0,35, the theoretical top speed would then be around 160mph. I suppose with so much power, the top speed will be limited by the gearing and the tyres.
Hans Efde

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Not to mention the bravery of the driver :lol:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Previous

Return to Engine conversions