Non motorized transport

Do you have any other cars? Maybe you're building a new garage? Anything that doesn't fit into the categories above - feel free to put it in here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Non motorized transport

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Here's my alternative project when I am not busy with my Midas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midasracer/3052082029/
I have started using it for commuting. Usually I cycle to work, but now I row or rowl as the Americans say. It's an American designed rowing bike. Now I train my complete body while commuting. Saves me from going to the gym and get rid of my back ache and a small pub spoiler (probably related). Unfortunately this concept in its infancy and needs further development. It works great, but it's noisy, wears out quickly and needs a lot of maintenance. Sort of Midas actually!
Hans Efde

Re: Non motorized transport

Postby Stuart » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:14 am

What we really need is a video of you in action, it looks and sounds like a lot of hard work, maybe you make it look easy?

I found a good way of loosing weight this week.. catch a Flu bug..I've lost 6 lbs in just one week! just don't try and go for a row at the same time!
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:34 am

I prefer to loose weight and straighten up by changing fat in muscle.
There are a few good videos on Youtube if you search for Rowbike or on the site of Rowbike itself. I am not sure it was the right buy.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Not as bad as I imagined really

Stuart

Postby johnonthetyne » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:41 pm

hans,does the single pannier have any effect with your balance?
johnonthetyne

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:55 pm

No, no problem at all. Balance is just like any ordinary bicycle and the bag's weight is too small for any vehicle to have an effect. The only thing with a rowing vehicle is similar to the one on the water, if you use too much force or are too wild (this will scr*w up your back as well), you'll need the whole road because it seems you're drunk. Also low speed and head wind have a strong effect on straight line stability. It's best to gently build up speed and look far ahead to keep a steady line. Obviously giving hand signals on a Rowbike is not a good idea, since you'll then make a 90degrees turn into bushes, pavement or someone else! For the rest I love it, my whole body tingles after a rowl and with cold weather (as we have now) I don't feel the cold because almost every muscle is at work. This in contrast to my normal bicycle which I had to use today (because it looks like the derailleur on the rowbike is jamming on the return stroke, job for tomorrow to fix).
Oh yeah, it's a bigger babe magnet than a Midas.... :D
Hans Efde

Postby johnonthetyne » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:00 pm

the bars look fixed??how is it steered ?by balance alone?
johnonthetyne

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:52 am

On top of the powerlever is a pulley. Adjustable steel cables run from it to the front fork. Just like in your Cessna. Works better than I expected.
Hans Efde

Postby M.Ouvinen » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Damn, that thing is even more weird than a recumbent. And it looks kinda fun, although the design seems a bit eighties. I'd have one with suspension and disc brakes.

I bought me a cyclocross bike this year, thinking I'd start commuting by bicycle. Did not happen. I did ride quite a lot in the free time though. But I have no motivation for riding in the cold or in the rain or snow, specially with a backpack full of cameras and my laptop and such. My Midas is much more comfortable...
M.Ouvinen

Return to Alternative projects