Somebody talk me out of it........

Do you have any other cars? Maybe you're building a new garage? Anything that doesn't fit into the categories above - feel free to put it in here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Somebody talk me out of it........

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:44 pm

I've been offered a GTM K3 that needs a bit of tidying but good to go with 12 months MOT. It's fitted with the Metro GTi 16v MPI K series which appears to be in rude health and they want £1k.
Rich

Re: Somebody talk me out of it........

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:35 pm

OK then...It looks funny, it's completely impractical, a nightmare to work on, the engine will blow up and you can't get the parts.
Nuff said? 8-)
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Not even close, half of that applies to my Gold as well....
Rich

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 am

Not what you want to hear, but I can't talk you out of it. If I had a spare grand lying about, I'd be very tempted too...
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

It's not a bad car. Oakes design, mid engined, composite monocoque. It ticks all the boxes. I just don't like the long nose that had to be made because it is using 2 front subframes. Also weather protection is not as good as the Midas. I recall these came with a hardtop and didn't have a soft top, although maybe GTM developed it at the end. Anyway for a grand, that's a steal. Fix it and you'll make money when you sell it again. Only drawback it's another car on the driveway. Or do you have a large garage to store it and work on it?
I had a friend who just kept buying cars until his garden was like a junkyard. No surprise his neighbours complained and in the end he had to put fences all around it to hide the pile of cars from the street.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:28 am

Rectification, they do come with soft tops:
I saw this one on Ebay years ago but it didn't sell. The builder had invested a lot of money in it, it's perfect as far as I can see. But the biddings were far below what he wanted for it. It's an enjoyable build thread to read if you want inspiration (and a good way to empty your wallet):
http://www.gtmdrivers.com/forum/k3-rebuild-t2045.html
Hans Efde

Postby wolfie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:40 pm

buy it, chuck out the K series and replace it with a honda vtec. Do it, do it, do it ;)
wolfie

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm

I once made a 10 hour, 480 mile round trip to see a K3 near Wick which I saw on Ebay, but decided the work it needed was a little bit too much for me.

Maybe if I'd finished working on the Midas I might have felt differently about it. I also felt I should have noticed the big hole in the windscreen, since it was clearly shown in the Ebay ad...
DavidL

Postby Rich » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I was looking at GTMs when I rediscovered the Midas cars, the amount of times I got gazumped on eBay was ridiculous and all at stronger money than this one.

Beyond a bit of basic tidying up there isn't much to do to this one, the biggest job will be trimming and sealing the hard top after a small repair to its leading edge.
Rich

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm

I want it
b1zbaz

Next

Return to Alternative projects