Alternative for Midas

Do you have any other cars? Maybe you're building a new garage? Anything that doesn't fit into the categories above - feel free to put it in here!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Alternative for Midas

Postby Rolf » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:15 pm

And Richard Oakes also designed this Domino Pimlico.
We're driving the car now some 6 years with the 4 of us.
That's one reason not to choose the Midas: the children can use the rearseat.
Havin' tried Ed's coupés rearseat, the Midas seem to have been designed for children with no legs...
The looks of the Pimlico were more favourable than the coupe, and the sky is the limit. (Rain, too!)
Anyway, we enjoy the forum and the Plastic Car Club Chat!
Hope this will be a fine kit car year..
Cheers, Rolf
Attachments
IMG_4243.JPG
pimlico's enclosed by Midasses and a marcos
IMG_4243.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 11202 times
Rolf

Re: Alternative for Midas

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 am

Me and the girlfriend always liked the Pimlico, and always had a good laugh with the late John Ingram, such a lovely guy. He was also I believe very heavily involved in the original Midas on the GRP front.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi Rolf

Welcome to the forum. I too am a fan of the Domino brand. I have always had a fancy for one of their pick ups. I once say a picture of an extended cab one (crew cab) i.e. four seats as in a normal Mini, but with a pick up bed as-well!

But alas, I think that the company producing the body shells has gone bust. Somebody, I'm led to believe purchased the moulds and intended to start production up again, they even started a website stating that they were intending to resume production and improve the marque. I watched the website for some time. Then the placed an announcement saying that future production was no longer viable, due to punitive health and safety costs!

I always watch the Pimlico on EBay and they always seem to make good prices! I wonder how many were made?

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rolf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:35 pm

There used to be a Domino Car Club for some time and people told me there were no more than 500 made of all modells together.
As I've never seen a bodynumber above the 100 mark, I have my doubts....
Having seen quite a few now over the years, it's funny how the bodies vary in strenghtening.
For example my roll over hoop is double layers (unfortunately not double skinned) making a boxsection and my friend's one is single skinned and you can see the steel beam.
Same for the "door areas" , his Pim has a single skin and therefore quite flexible, and mine has a inner skin making a boxsection as well.
Sometimes it's easier to work on the one, sometimes on the other.
Midasses seem to have a more "equal" production run. And you can actually speak of a production-run!
Some people have difficulties getting the bonnet on, since the waistline is lesser than a normal mini. stange flanges occur, thus raising the body from the subframe.
Does not seem to be the safest way...(like wheel spacers). This is usually due to a bigger engine fitted.
Midases don't have this problem, being based on the metro, altough Ed does have a homemade airintake solution.

Anyway, all grp bodied mini's seem to have equal problems and solutions. And that's where the forum comes in, doesn't it

happy motoring!
Rolf
Rolf

Return to Alternative projects