Watson Rally Gold suspension kit for sale

Sell your old and unwanted parts here

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Watson Rally Gold suspension kit for sale

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am

I am selling my unused Watson Rally Metro spring suspension kit. This was developed by Watson on advise of David Manifold and will replace the hydragas units on the front suspension of your Gold.
I am looking for an offer around 120 pounds (or 135 euros), this is similar to the new price BUT I will pay for the shipment within Europe. Since it's very heavy that will save you a considerable amount of money.
suspension02.jpg
suspension02.jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
suspension01.jpg
suspension01.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 10198 times

This is how David installed it:
suspension03.jpg
suspension03.jpg (54.19 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
Hans Efde

Re: Watson Rally Gold suspension kit for sale

Postby manifold » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 pm

great piece of kit Hans. Under rated and a quick win.

Looks like mine are the only 2 in existence in the Midas. LOL.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm

manifold wrote:Looks like mine are the only 2 in existence in the Midas. LOL.

For now...... ;)
Rich

Postby DavidL » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Hans, did you ever sell your Watson spring kit?
I've just bought another Metro front subframe with the intention of modifying it to take the Watson springs, and a search of the forum brought this thread up. So if you do still have the kit, I would be happy to buy it from you...

Sadly, I can't view the photos you attached in your first post in the thread. Would you be able to post them again please?
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi David,
In the end I decided to bite the bullet and put them on the car and it's the best mod yet. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about it since I did it slightly differently than David. It has transformed how the car behaves. The car is less nervous and takes bumps easily without upsetting the car dynamics.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi Hans, I think I remember you describing your Watsons fitting, but thought for some reason that you had that and one spare kit!
I though it worth asking though, just in case you DID have a spare set. I'm very keen on the idea - that's the reason I bought my spare front subframe, I didn't want to modify my current one without having a fully working replacement ready to fit.
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:02 am

That's how I did it as well. I found a brand new subframe on internet and that made it possible to think it through. It's one of the best mods for your Midas.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am

Definitely gives it a better ride doesn't it Hans. Neither too hard, nor too soft. I converted both my cars Convertible and Coupe. Never looked back.

Dead easy to do if you have a spare subframe and an arc welder.

Geoff Watson can supply the kit as a set of parts. They were originally devised as part of the set up for the K series and then later the V-Tech Honda conversions that they did for the Minis.

http://www.watsonsrally.co.uk/

I worked out that they'd fit on an A series too as the hydrogas units are more or less dimensionally the same. The upper arms sit slightly different but that doesn't affect the fitting of the springs much.

Saves having to modify the body and put extra pressure on the fibreglass which you would do with coilovers unless you captured the head of the coilover on the subframe like the TF MGF subframes do.

There was only one rate for the springs when I got mine. Not sure if I heard it right that they do now do a road and race set.

Rich has them on his car too.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:54 am

Is there a choice of spring ratings from Watsons, or is it "one size fits all"?
DavidL

Postby manifold » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:56 am

see above on spring rates

manifold

Next

Return to For sale